I am looking for ideas for a truck toolbox. With the tank behind the seat in the 58, my usual storage is taken. I like to keep a small bag and some emergency supplies with me when I go places. I often take both kids places with me so I don't want it rolling around on the floorboards.
A crossbox is typical, but I don't like losing the bed length.
I have seen what people call porkchop boxes that fit in the fender of newer trucks, but I have mocked up a couple in the apache and they just look weird.
I am not old enough to remember the 50s. Is there something period appropriate that would give me a cubic foot or so of lockable weathertight storage?
I could move the tank out of the cab and reclaim the space behind the seat, but I am looking for other ideas first.
I’ve had similar thoughts. One idea I had was a small lockable box mounted on short running board in front of rear fender. Somehow locked onto the running board also but none of the locking mechanism visible when the tool box is removed. Could be as simple as spring loaded J Hooks on the box that push down and twist under lip of running board then another bar across the top of box to lock it all together.
1957 Chevy 3200 Daily Driver PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights. Follow in the DITY
I have a fleetside, so I don't have running boards.
A buddy of mine picked this up last year. The inner bed panels are moved in a couple inches so the utility boxes are ~8" deep.
If I were more confident in my sheet metal abilities, I would love to do the same basic trick. Long bed, fleetside 58/59 beds are *hard* to come by. I am not willing to risk the one good one I have found to try and modify it.
I had one of these behind the seat of my '57 GMC. It cost a lot less when I bought it in the 90s.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
@Bill Hanlon: That is a good idea. I had not considered making a shelf to go above the tank. That might just work.
@moparguy: At the moment I have a badly mounted, worn out split bench from a 90s truck in that maroon color everyone had. I am not sure what seat I am going to end up with yet, but I generally don't like putting things under the seats in my vehicles because they tend to roll/slide out at the most inopportune times.
I like the idea of the shelf above the in-cab tank. It wouldn't be much of a problem to fabricate a custom shelf/box to make maximum use of the space. I think I'll put some thought into that project.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
How many tools do you need room for? I store a bottle jack under my seat along with a bag of tools. All rests on a piece of vinyl fabric to prevent anything from easily sliding around under there.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
My normal kit is a set of screwdrivers, a set of wrenches, a small selection of sockets, a couple pairs of pliers, a wire stripper/crimper, a collection of terminals (spade/bullet/butt), some electrical wire, electrical tape, aluminum tape, zip ties, RTV, a tire patch kit, and baling wire.
I also like to keep a quart of oil, a couple bottles of water, some emergency food, and a couple space blankets just in case of emergencies.
I would look at that list and say it seems like a bit much, but I have used all of them at one time or another.
Years ago when I was working at China Lake, I went out to the parking lot over lunch and found a kid (probably early 20s, but a kid to me) with his hood up just staring at his engine. Long story short, I ended up grabbing my tool kit and when he saw it, he asked if it was really worth it to carry all that around with me.
I responded by asking him if it was worth being able to get back on the road without having to call a tow truck. He wasn't sure what to think of that question.
I make sure to have whatever jack/tools are necessary to change the tire on that given vehicle are present too, but those generally have thier own on-board storage.
A few years ago, I bought a toolbox that is actually a regulation 5-gallon jerry can that opens at the top and the front to reveal a pull out tray and two drawers. They are available on line. Paint it OD green, slap it around a little for some patina and it appears like just another jerry can. I have a GI jerry can holder I am planning to mount to my running board and it will be a period-correct after market mod. The jerry can/tool box even locks.
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
You bet. We AD guys always happy to help our WD friends!
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I have a picture in my mind that the Jerry can could slip in alongside the seat and angled toward the hollow of the cab door frame. I’ll have to look closer and measure next time I’m in garage. I have original bench in my ‘57 3200.
1957 Chevy 3200 Daily Driver PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights. Follow in the DITY
I could potentially see that on the passenger side. That area on the driver side is where the filler tube comes in. Assuming I am envisioning what you mean correctly.
Summit has those cans in both black and red. The red ones are cheaper there, but out of stock.
I am tempted to just order one for my daughter's jeep since it needs lockable storage as well and a jerry can is *very* appropriate for that too.
You can also find the "military" original style mounting brackets, some even with the cargo straps, on eBay (saw at least 3 or 4 listed this afternoon).
I haven't seen anyone post about actually getting one of these and commenting on the quality/durability???
Would be interested to hear what anyone might have for input on the subject.
Last edited by Gdads51; 01/13/202311:03 PM.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Initial impressions are positive. It rattles a fair bit because none of the parts have any anti-rattle pads or anything. It looks pretty good, especially if you put the hinge side to the back of the mount. It has a nice heft to it; it is not thin, flimsy metal.
The two drawers come out easily and are close enough in shape to the pockets that tools shouldn't escape even if you flip it over.
It has a removable tray in the top, but it is a huge pain to get out past the hinge. I will probably just leave it out.
I am concerned that the powder coating will wear off the placea where the doors overlap, but that is pretty typical for metal toolboxes.
My daughter saw the box and exclaimed "I don't know what it is, but it has a picture of a Jeep so I think it is mine!"
I think we are going to load it with her toolkit initially to see how it does fully weighted.
Thanks for sharing your insight and experience with the tool box.
Bet you already knew you daughter was going to lay claim to it - haha!
Guess dad will just have to get one of his own.
How sturdy is the locking mechanism?
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Let's just say I had my suspicions. She thinks she wants a red one, but we are going to look at it next to the dash (the only painted part so far) and see if the red would clash with it too badly.
The lock seems pretty good. It is comparable to the one on my big toolbox. The top doesn't have any play in it when it is latched, so prying it open would actually be pretty tough.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Dan, I've had mine for years -- on the M-37, the 817 and now the '49. Got mine from Sportsmansguide.com
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Initial impressions are positive. It rattles a fair bit because none of the parts have any anti-rattle pads or anything. It looks pretty good, especially if you put the hinge side to the back of the mount. It has a nice heft to it; it is not thin, flimsy metal.
The two drawers come out easily and are close enough in shape to the pockets that tools shouldn't escape even if you flip it over.
It has a removable tray in the top, but it is a huge pain to get out past the hinge. I will probably just leave it out.
I am concerned that the powder coating will wear off the placea where the doors overlap, but that is pretty typical for metal toolboxes.
My daughter saw the box and exclaimed "I don't know what it is, but it has a picture of a Jeep so I think it is mine!"
I think we are going to load it with her toolkit initially to see how it does fully weighted.
Looks pretty nifty, it's from rampage right? Might look into getting one too
Fibanachu This wont help much but most glove boxes come to you all ate up (cardboard) I make a sheet metal one strong enough to hold a handful of tools wrapped in a rag. Also like to keep my snacks in there,well there is not a mouse in southern Illinois gonna get to my paydays. This is in my 51 3600 wood hauler (beater) rusty so can't hold em out.