The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (TUTS 59, classicfins, KEVINSKI, MaxStewart, HandyAndy, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,584
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
I don't know!!
Attachments
Jimmy.jpg (203.41 KB, 575 downloads)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Drive it like ya stole it, maybe?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Scrap it. grin

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
The rockers on it are beautiful!

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
I feel like there is a story that needs to be told.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
How do you know you have all of the necessary parts?

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
If it is a GMC you need to get it away from your Chevy engines before they die of embarrassment. I'll volunteer to drag it away, no charge.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
270 or 302?


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
First thing you need to do is share with us what you used to paint the block so that everyone will know what the correct color a stock AD Chevrolet truck engine is supposed to look like (even though this is neither stock, nor Chevrolet).


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
Does anyone know what company built this head? The 45 degree input ports rule out most 12 port GMC head builders. I know that the Fisher heads had 90 degree intake ports. Plus, all of Horning's heads were cast iron. The head in Mark's picture at the top of this thread looks aluminum to me.

The two piece valve cover looks like a Bill Fisher part, but the only one I've ever seen had "Fisher - GMC" cast into the top.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Bill, I do know that info but I'm not sure I can share just yet. I believe that head is 1 of 12. It is aluminum.

Jerry, I don't know the cubic inch just yet. I will when I start digging in to it.

Panic, I still have much more I need to collect for it. The parts are in multiple locations.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
The Howard and Wayne look similar with angled intakes, but the ports are 2-2-2, not 1-1-1-1-1-1

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Bill Hanlon Frontennack

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
One of Charlie Baker's heads?


Mike
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
Originally Posted by fixite7
Bill Hanlon Frontennack

Which? Head or valve cover? Or both?


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
So, you fellas got me looking into it a bit. Yep, Howard Johansen/Nick Arias head, cover and rockers. Schultz intake. Schultz ignition trigger. Looks like Schultz machined the valve cover smooth. And it wouldn't surprise me if he had Donnie Johansen grind the cam to his specs. From what I understand, these heads were made for the 302, but from what I was looking at, alternator mount, etc., this block looks like a 270? You guys let me know/chime in. Still would be a fun project to have.

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
Below is info on the Johansen head copied from "The 12 Port Story Pt. 6" written
by Herbert Hall (originally printed in Vol. 2, Issue 1 of the 12 Port News)

By the late Fall of 1951, about 3 to 4 months after that day Art was down to see
Howard about the Bonneville car, Howard Johansen had gone ahead and produced
just such a cylinder head; like the one they had talked about that afternoon. In
producing his first 12 Port head for the GMC, Howard Johansen chose 356
aluminum. He not only patterned his combustion chamber after Harry Warner's GMC
head, but also after the earlier, flat chamber of the 1928 Chevy four. Howard also
decided he was right concerning the intake ports. On his 12 port head, he inclined the
intakes to about 45 degrees for better flow, straight down to the valves. In doing this,
he was looking back to the intake design of the Riley 4, and engine Howard has
successfully campaigned around the country with Jim Rathman at the wheel in a car
owned by Andy Linden.

The new Howard 12 port head for the GMC had 1 7/8" intake valves and 1 3/4"
exhausts. The intake ports were 1 7/8" x 1 11/16" and the exhaust ports were 1 19/32"
x 1 28/32". The head had bronze valve inserts and bronze valve guides. A stock
GMC rocker arm assembly was used and Howard reground a stock steel cam for the
head. With a Howard F series cam, these Jimmies revved into the 5,000 to 5.500
r.p.m. range and up to 6,500 r.p.m with a Howard M series cam. Howard also had
special tubular pushrods available for the GMC. In April of 1952, "Hot Rod"
magazine ran Howard's first ad for the new 12 port head for GMC. Art Benjamin,
who was often over to Howard's shop and who was a distributor of Howard cams and
speed equipment, recalls that there were from 10-12 of these heads produced, all in
aluminum. This conflicts somewhat with other estimates of around half dozen heads
produced, but Art is very confident in his estimate.

The dyno tests proved out Howard Johansen's thinking on the design changes he
envisioned after looking over the Wayne 12 port that summer afternoon. In an
advertisement for "Howard's Racing Cams," h.p. levels of 303 h.p. from a 297 cu. in.
GMC with the Howard 12 port head and using straight methanol were
obtained. When the fuel was beefed up with the addition of 25% nitro, the h.p.
jumped to 351, that's right, over 350 h.p. form a 297 cu. in engine. I have in my files
copy of a Howard GMC engine testing report, in which a 298 cu.in GMC fitted with a
Howard 5 carb manifold, Howard F-7 cam, 12:1 compression and Howard pistons,
running methanol and of course the Howard 12 port head, turned out a top h.p. rating
of 355 h.p. at 5,200 r.p.m., and amazing figure. These 12 port cylinder heads were
first offered at $270, and later were raised to $290. What deal, that was a very low
price even in 1952.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
MNSmith,

How is a 270 different externally than a 302?

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
I found this, shall we say, interesting quote from Dan Warner (son of Harry): "Don Ferguson III had the 300 MPH exit speed at Speedweek last year. He was using an original Wayne head."
I hope that's a typo or bad memory, we all know why.

I've poked around, and can't find any 12 port head with 45° angled intake ports and evenly-spaced individual ports as shown. All of them had paired ports, like SBC, BBM, etc.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by EdPruss
MNSmith,

How is a 270 different externally than a 302?

Ed

No clue. I haven't played with gas inliners much in my life.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by panic
I've poked around, and can't find any 12 port head with 45° angled intake ports and evenly-spaced individual ports as shown. All of them had paired ports, like SBC, BBM, etc.

They are paired. "Schultz intake." He made a manifold for individual throttlebodies. KMS throttlebodies, if I looked it up correctly.

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
Originally Posted by panic
I've poked around, and can't find any 12 port head with 45° angled intake ports and evenly-spaced individual ports as shown. All of them had paired ports, like SBC, BBM, etc.

These links show some "Howard" heads that have paired ports as you said. One picture in the 1st link shows "Howard" cast into the head. "Howard" is Howard Johansen of Howard Cams fame.

Scroll down for 2nd Howard head with what looks like Hilborn injection

Looks like a Wayne valve cover

Bare head



I'll bet Panic is right about the Howard heads having paired intake ports. So What head is shown in the original, non-paired intake, picture?


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
I'll get ya'll a better picture. Gonna take a minute or two. Got an after lunch meeting, managers roaming through the place, roll up door vendors fixing broken doors, employees that need direction, ..........

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
The distance between adjacent throttle bodies in your picture is the same all down the head.
So each pair of throttle bodies *1+2, etc.) have a "Y" shaped manifold to conform to the 2-2-2 intake ports?

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Yes. Although, it’s all one manifold.
Attachments
28ABD41F-3F2C-4FB7-8003-05D5C4425FF9.jpeg (185.97 KB, 292 downloads)
09B45121-CCB9-4EC6-8CE7-D97FF20EED27.jpeg (157.57 KB, 289 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
Looks like the nuts are already off the manifold studs. Pull the manifold and look for "Howard" between the #2 and #3 intake ports.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Don't need to. It can be seen with the manifold on.

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
I went the easy way. Ryan Falconer V-12 head.
Attachments
engine front.jpg (367.94 KB, 257 downloads)


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Current situation.
Attachments
IMG_6253.jpeg (243.69 KB, 203 downloads)
IMG_6254.jpeg (241.64 KB, 202 downloads)
IMG_6255.jpeg (244.21 KB, 206 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Edit: Looking closer those are injectors.

What electronics are you going to use to control it?

Edit Deux: Is this the 302 you mentioned in your other post?

Last edited by Fibonachu; 06/03/2023 6:12 AM.

From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
🤤🤤🤤🤤


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
Edit: Looking closer those are injectors.

What electronics are you going to use to control it?

Edit Deux: Is this the 302 you mentioned in your other post?

Yes, they are injectors.

Today I was looking at the MS3Pro. It looks rather friendly, but I'm undecided at the moment. I'm still working on getting all the mechanicals in order, verifying firing order by cam, mostly just seeing what I got! I kinda don't want to disassemble anything, but I'd love to see if the roller cam has any markings. I'm short some push rods and need to plumb the rockers through the head. I also need to plumb the remote filter. I need to make sure that everything that is supposed to get oil, does. Kinda reverse engineer what's been done to this thing.

You know, the never ending "to do" list.

This is the 302 that I was figuring out what I needed for a bellhousing in my other post. I might have that part a little figured out. Still working on it.

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
The MS3Pro appears to have a good set of features on paper, but I have never been impressed with any of the megasquirt products I have used.

Have you looked at the Haltech units? Depending on what features you want, it might be a better option for you.

Do you know what you want to do for ignition? The Haltech supports drive-by-wire where the MS3Pro doesn't, but with what you have there going cable throttle probably makes more sense.

The Haltech can control a 4L60e and a few other transmissions if you decide on a modern automatic. The Haltech also supports closed loop automatic tuning. Whether that is a bonus or not depends on you.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
She's screaming for a man pedal. Do you have flow numbers?


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
Have you looked at the Haltech units?

I'll look in to it. I'm still a ways away from having to make a decision.

I'm not sure how a modern automatic would be possible. Mounting configurations for this block are limited.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by mick53
She's screaming for a man pedal. Do you have flow numbers?

I do not. If there were any, I haven't found any on paper as such. Knowing the owner/builder, they were in his head and are now lost to time.

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
I saw your post in the youtube thread about sensors, but it seems more applicable to this thread so I will comment here.

You asked about measuring airflow on this engine. You would really need some kind of MAF per cylinder to do that. I will see if I can find a small one that would fit, but it would take some custom work.

I suspect that you are going to have to run this in speed density mode though. Not knowing the cam specs will make tuning that harder, but it is doable.

Depending on the ECU you go with, you will probably need MAP (manifold air pressure) and IAT (intake air temperature) sensors.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Curious how that would work with 6 separate manifolds.
Attachments
IMG_6257.jpeg (183.52 KB, 118 downloads)
IMG_6258.jpeg (206.38 KB, 116 downloads)
IMG_6259.jpeg (179.93 KB, 119 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
You could theoretically measure the airflow on each of them individually and fuel apprpriately, but I don't see any controllers that support that.

Edit: do you have any vacuum ports in that setup? I don't see any in the pics, but I am not sure everything is visible.

Last edited by Fibonachu; 06/05/2023 5:39 AM.

From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
Edit: do you have any vacuum ports in that setup? I don't see any in the pics, but I am not sure everything is visible.

None. Zero.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0