| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Maybellene, tclederman, RoadsScholar, DadsFirstPickup, baldeagle, MickeyP, Stovebolt48, 1 invisible),
198
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,231 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2019 Posts: 232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2019 Posts: 232 | Hi
Neither drivers nor passenger doors will latch all the way
First latch catches but not second
Latches actuate by hand
Doors will not close to flush with cab and I cannot see anything holding them back
Door seals are mostly gone
Any advice?
Thanks | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | The only ones that stay with the factory latches are people wanting to kill their kids for insurance money. The Altman bear claw kit is pricey but worth every penny. With that rant over with remove ALL the latch pieces and see if the door fits the hole and body profile without the latches in place. If not your problem is in the hinges.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Did Altman ever solve the non-locking door issue? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 157 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 157 | No, they haven’t. I’ve installed three sets and there is no ability to lock the doors from inside, without installing electric locks. I did not install electric locks because there is the potential of not being able to unlock the doors if accident happened and you lost electrical power.
That being said, I love their product due to the safety advantage and the ease of door closing. A bit of work to install them but pretty straight forward procedure. They have excellent customer support.
On my 51 I did install an exterior key lock on the drivers door so I could lock each door from the outside if need be. I live in rural Nebraska and have never locked the doors. Probably more of an issue for folks living in metropolitan areas.
Dan
35 CC Case 38 Chevy Pickup 51 3100 AD 58 3100 Apache Fleetside
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Try moving the striker on pillar in the opposite direction than what would make sense to you to make the door latch right. Try this no matter how stupid you may think that I am.  Get back to us when you find that this solved your problem (or to confirm that I am indeed stupid).
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: May 2019 Posts: 232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2019 Posts: 232 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,687 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,687 | You can’t lock the Altman latches?
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 157 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 157 | JW51,
That’s correct as far as the interior door handles are concerned. You can’t move the interior handle and lock the door.
The locks work normally with the key actuating the locks from the exterior.
There are provisions to lock the doors using electric door locks if you chose to add them.
Dan
35 CC Case 38 Chevy Pickup 51 3100 AD 58 3100 Apache Fleetside
| | | | | Joined: May 2019 Posts: 232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2019 Posts: 232 | You’re right
They are pretty proud of their latches
Coilover there are many days I’d like to kill my kids but my wife would be mad about it
52carl
I’ve not yet been able to confirm or deny your intelligence and besides if I can’t figure a door latch out I’m not worthy to judge
Couple more things to try and I’ll report back
Good thing this project pays hourly! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,076 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,076 | Not sure if this will help, but there's a whole lot of DOORS info (including latches) in the Paint & Body section in Tech Tips. Ten of them. 
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | | | | Joined: May 2019 Posts: 232 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2019 Posts: 232 | Thanks
Got them to latch
Lots of adjusting oiling etc
In the end the biggest help might have been removing old door seal
Hoping new seal is more pliable
Appreciate everyone’s help! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Jack, I am assuming that you now have the door in place without the door seal, and it latches now and your door fits the way you want it, correct? If so, do yourself a big favor. Drill a 1/8" holes through the inner skin of the door, all the way through the hinge straps. Use a brand new, high quality drill bit to make a perfect hole. Make sure that the windows are rolled all the way up! This will make it possible to reinstall the door to the exact location after you remove the door, reinstall the new door seal, and reinstall the door. You can use a 1/8" drift punch to align the door to the hinge.
Last edited by 52Carl; 02/26/2023 11:57 PM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | |
| |
| |