The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (chemanic, Shardean, Steelonsteel, 2 invisible), 127 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,418
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1481381 01/01/2023 8:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
I’ve been chasing a terribly poor idle and focusing on my Zenith 10920 carb to be the cause. Now I just completely rebuilt the carb again with a new kit from carbking. This time I bought the 2 Zenith check valve removal and installation tools so I could replace them as well. With the carb completely disassembled including the checks and ball, I soaked the works in a gallon carb cleaner for 3 days before rinsing, running a thin wire through every passage then thoroughly blowing out everything with compressed air. Then I soaked again for 24 hours and repeated. This carb is now cleaner than a new baby bottle with new parts installed with the proper tools.

Meanwhile each time I’ve cleaned the carb I fall back 2 steps or more.

I think I’ve been chasing a red herring. I’ve gone from a terrible idle to nothing. Don’t want to run at all. It tries to start but sounds like what you might expect if the spark plug wires were out of order (they are not!)

Now to the point, with distributor cap off I can rotate the rotor a few degrees CW by hand and feel spring tension. When I let go it moves back CCW to a stop. However I can then turn it slightly more CCW and it stops there. With a slight turn back CW to the initial stop it will stay there but I can hear a click when moving it there.

Is there a bonafide expert reading this who can tell me this is abnormal, or can someone do me the immense favor of removing you distributor cap to check and see if it does this same thing?

Many thanks to all who may help me!!


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,466
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,466
Originally Posted by buoymaker
Unfortunately I don't have a parts diagram of a 228 distributor for show-n-tell.

Buoymaker: Picture is from '53 GMC Master Parts Book. Same distributor parts from '39 thru '53.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg (37.88 KB, 135 downloads)


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,832
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,832
Verify your condenser is working. If you have a spare, even a used one, put it on and see if there is any change at all. Don't assume that because a part is brand new that it can't be the source of a problem.

What sort of spark are you getting? Is the center dizzy wire from the coil making a good spark? Plugs sparking?

Check the primary wire to the dizzy. I had a frayed one on another car and appeared fine. When I started poking around the wire broke off of the ring terminal at the points.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,817
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,817
Change the condenser.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
Thanks for the advice. I’ll double check distributor is fully seated, install my new Jon G condenser, and follow up.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
SUCCESS!!!! New Jon G condenser and clean rebuilt carb did the trick. Runs and idles beautifully now!


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,817
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,817
"I love it when a plan comes together!"
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
Thanks Jerry, we are lucky to have you!


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,832
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,832
Excellent.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,483
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,483
Great news! Thanks for the follow-up!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0