46 1/2 ton. Just knocked these parts out of the transmission end of my torque tube. Not what I expected or have seen. The Oakie bushings I have seen are 1 piece. Is this an earlier design? I’m 95% sure I have them oriented correctly trans to rear. right to left would be trans to rear. Not sure if the left (rear) section is facing the right way. I knocked it apart myself and the pieces flew. I believe the copper shim was in there as well. Was expecting 1 piece not 3. Appreciate any help. Happy New Year.
"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
Those are the original bushings and seal that the factory installed. The oakie bushing is and aftermarket replacement of the two bushing factory setup with a combination assembly.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Until I saw the picture, I assumed it had an oakum seal and hence the nickname.
Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 12/30/20229:06 PM.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
"The Oakie bushings I have seen are 1 piece. Is this an earlier design?" Original is two bushings and one seal. Original bushings held in place by a dowel.
"I’m 95% sure I have them oriented correctly trans to rear. right to left would be trans to rear." See attached picture
"I believe the copper shim was in there as well." The copper is part of a bushing.
"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use." "I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Does ANYBODY have the okie bushing puller that I could borrow,rent or buy ? They are next to impossible to get from the online parts outlets and have been on back order FO months Thanks Wes [email protected]
I think we should clear up the name of the tool. I believe Chevs of the 40s called it an Oakie Bushing Puller. It is really an original front bushing puller that is used before an Oakie bushing is installed.