The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (TrknGMC, Cletus1950, Charles in CA, dt235sd, Peggy M), 199 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1481046 12/30/2022 7:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
46 1/2 ton. Just knocked these parts out of the transmission end of my torque tube. Not what I expected or have seen. The Oakie bushings I have seen are 1 piece. Is this an earlier design? I’m 95% sure I have them oriented correctly trans to rear. right to left would be trans to rear. Not sure if the left (rear) section is facing the right way. I knocked it apart myself and the pieces flew. I believe the copper shim was in there as well. Was expecting 1 piece not 3. Appreciate any help. Happy New Year.
Attachments
04D14E80-8AFD-4534-BC94-DE4CC7A61E17.jpeg (361.45 KB, 217 downloads)
B7841E63-54EA-45B7-BE8F-79CAAF9D8F07.jpeg (204.81 KB, 216 downloads)
56ABD7F4-1A88-4A9E-9D2E-B09D4BA312C0.jpeg (129.08 KB, 216 downloads)


"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Those are the original bushings and seal that the factory installed. The oakie bushing is and aftermarket replacement of the two bushing factory setup with a combination assembly.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
Is it made in Muskogee?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Unlike the song, they came from National Machine Works in Oklahoma City.
Attachments
Bushing.jpg (43.64 KB, 194 downloads)

Last edited by buoymaker; 12/30/2022 8:55 PM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Here is a little (actually a lot) of information about the Okie Bushing.. (Thank You, Jim Carter)

It is (was ?) indeed originally made in Oklahoma.

Most likely they are made elsewhere now?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
buoymaker beat me to it - thanks

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,812
Until I saw the picture, I assumed it had an oakum seal and hence the nickname.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 12/30/2022 9:06 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
Thanks all.


"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
"The Oakie bushings I have seen are 1 piece. Is this an earlier design?"
Original is two bushings and one seal. Original bushings held in place by a dowel.

"I’m 95% sure I have them oriented correctly trans to rear. right to left would be trans to rear."
See attached picture

"I believe the copper shim was in there as well."
The copper is part of a bushing.
Attachments
Bushing Comparision.jpg (59.23 KB, 155 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 5
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 5
Does ANYBODY have the okie bushing puller that I could borrow,rent or buy ? They are next to impossible to get from the online parts outlets and have been on back order FO months
Thanks Wes
[email protected]

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I will see if I can find mine.

Chevs of the 40s rents/sell one.. However, this is a confusing listing/offer.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think we should clear up the name of the tool. I believe Chevs of the 40s called it an Oakie Bushing Puller. It is really an original front bushing puller that is used before an Oakie bushing is installed.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0