The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (tclederman, 68ironhead, 3B, GMCJammer51, Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, Jon G, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,245
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1478731 12/13/2022 2:48 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
I acquired a 54 Chevy 3800 stakebed truck. Front wheels were already switched to 19.5", but the rears are still original 18" split rims with hard to find tires. I've been looking around for more 19.5" wheels but have been unsuccessful. My question... 22.5" and 24.5" wheels are easy to come by. Has anyone used 8 lug to 10 lug adapters on an AD truck to use the bigger wheels?


'57 Chevy 210 (235)
'54 Chevy 3800
'49 Pontiac Streamliner (239)
'46 Chevy 3/4-Ton (216) (Sold)
'46 Chevy 1 1/2-Ton (Sold)
'50 Chevy Loadmaster Semi (Sold)
'68 Chevy Stepside (Sold)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Check out the Tech Tips here: https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wheels/

While we wait for the experts to chime-in, I looked at my dealer's handbook.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge but a stakebed is a flatbed with removable sides?
So what you have is the 3809?
According to the book, rear 17" wheels are standard and 18" duals are the option 295 but require the aux. spring option 267.
My take is that GM didn't design that model truck for taller sizes.
Maybe taller tires would rub holes it the bed bottom?

Also taller tires will require an adapter to make your speedometer read correctly.
Attachments
Tire Size 01.jpg (47.4 KB, 99 downloads)
Tire Size 02.jpg (57.86 KB, 99 downloads)

Last edited by buoymaker; 12/13/2022 3:06 PM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I have several extra 19.5” wheels with 10 on 7.25” bolt pattern

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
I dont know the history of the truck, but it has a flatbed with stakesides with the overload springs and 18" wheels in the back.
Attachments
20221204_155553.jpg (183.51 KB, 69 downloads)
20221204_155508.jpg (235.55 KB, 69 downloads)
Screenshot_20221202-195345_Chrome.jpg (122.22 KB, 69 downloads)
20221204_155905.jpg (246.71 KB, 68 downloads)


'57 Chevy 210 (235)
'54 Chevy 3800
'49 Pontiac Streamliner (239)
'46 Chevy 3/4-Ton (216) (Sold)
'46 Chevy 1 1/2-Ton (Sold)
'50 Chevy Loadmaster Semi (Sold)
'68 Chevy Stepside (Sold)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Looks like you have the optional dually rims and springs.
Looks like front and rear are 8 bolts on a 6-1/2" circle (previous picture).

I'm a novice on the big bolts but I see want ads for brake drums like they are hard to get.
Before you focus on rims and tires you may want to first look at brakes and your type of rear axle before you work yourself corner.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
It's a solid running and driving truck with good brakes. I'm just nervous about the rear tires. I guess I'll run them until they blow, but I would like a plan going forward. I'd like to run a taller tire too. I can raise the bed to accommodate and I'm not hauling anything heavy. I'm actually thinking about pulling some leaves out to make it ride a little better, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle.


'57 Chevy 210 (235)
'54 Chevy 3800
'49 Pontiac Streamliner (239)
'46 Chevy 3/4-Ton (216) (Sold)
'46 Chevy 1 1/2-Ton (Sold)
'50 Chevy Loadmaster Semi (Sold)
'68 Chevy Stepside (Sold)

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0