What type of fastener is used on the hood spring bracket to firewall on the ’47? My ’47 has a partial threaded 3/8” bolt and two nuts. The shop manual for ’48 to ’51 looks like a rivet. The FAM for ’54 shows the tapped disc spot welded in place. What do you have on your truck?
The hinges on my ’47 have only 3/8” holes. I purchased the shoulder bolt kit for ’47-’55 that has two bolts with 3/8” shoulder and four bolts with 7/16” shoulder. That’s only 6 bolts, so they’re for attaching to the hood and not for the other end of the spring bracket. I did find a vendor that has individual shoulder bolts so I could order four more with the 3/8” shoulder. This brings up another question, when did the hood hinge go from all 3/8” holes to 2) 3/8” and 4) 7/16”?
The shoulder bolts are 5/16-24. I removed my hood and found 5/16-18 bolts as the body shop had tapped out the holes in the hood and used their shop stock bolts. I haven’t found my original bolts so I don’t know what was in there. Are all the hoods from ’47 to ’55 5/16-24?
I couldn’t find 5/16-18 bolts with 3/8” shoulder so I made some for the tapped out hood. I just spent this morning searching for similar questions here and found Phil did the same thing:
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...true/hood-hinge-bolting.html#Post1385569