I need new rear brake shoes on my 3600. I don't believe my '50 tow truck started life as a dually. I need new brake shoes (long story, but I pulled the drums to replace the wheel studs and found the brake shoes had completely come apart) but I'm not sure if the brakes are stock. Can anyone look at my axle and ends to determine if this is a standard 3600 axle? I need to know so I can order up some new brake shoes.
That looks like an original GM dual wheel rear axle from a 1 ton (3800) truck. It has the OEM "Huck" brakes which will be a little difficult to find repair parts. You might need to get the shoes relined by a brake rebuilder. DO NOT machine the drums, as they're no longer made and good used replacements are as scarce as a chicken with lips and extremely expensive if you happen to find them. Rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders, and possibly the cylinders themselves might still be available with a little searching. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
if your brake drum is 14 inches across on the inside order the 1 ton brakes however to me it looks like someone just put in longer studs into a stock 3/4 ton axle
the brake cylinder in the photo looks like it is part 5450071 which is unique to the 3/4 ton in from 1946 to 1952 the 1 ton brake cylinder has larger solid cast gears on each end and those pads don't look like they would span 14 inches face to face to fit the 1 ton drum
the 3/4 ton rear brake shoe is the same part as the 1 ton front shoe the filling station shows they have them in stock, part number 3681116