The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Nick in Manitou, Hotrod Lincoln, TUTS 59), 123 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
Good afternoon.

Thinking of adding a set of the factory installed bullet brake lights to a 49 panel.

Have no idea where to drill the hole.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I added the bullet shaped lights to my 1953 panel. Mine were off a 1938 Oldsmobile wagon. They were almost exactly the same, the mounting holes were different. Just be sure that when the rear doors are open 180°, they won't hit the lights.

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
All, considering adding the dealer installed bullet shaped tail lights to a 49 panel. These are the ones offered by Jim Carter. Only problem is I have no clue about the correct location of the mounting hole. Does anyone have dimensions and/or pics?

Thanks.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
You didn't like my previous response?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
I guess he didn’t read your very informative response to his other identical thread.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
Sorry didn’t see it

Patience is a virtue

I have none of it

Thanks guys

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
I’m getting old

Forgot I had already asked the question

Thanks again

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
There is a template avaliable. I think Tim has one. As I mentioned in the other thread, be sure the doors don't hit the lights when opened 180°. If I recall, the lights should be 4 inches above the belt line.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I cannot find the template; however, here are installation instructions.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
Thanks

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 324
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 324
Here is a diagram with measurements to help locate the template. I'll be adding lights to my panel truck too.
Attachments
taillights.jpg (58.21 KB, 126 downloads)


1947.2 Chevy Panel Truck 1-ton
In Project Journals
In the DITY Gallery
1955.2 Chevy Suburban
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Excellent, Walter.

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
Thanks again guys

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
Does anyone have pics of what they did for an access panel cover

I’m referring to the hole that apparently needs to be cut in the inner panel to install nuts to fasten lights and run wire

Hate cutting up this perfect old Sheetmetal

Thanks

Jack

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
There's actually an access hole, underneath the cardboard cover, that allows you to reach in and do what you need to do.
Attachments
1952suburban77.jpg (57.97 KB, 73 downloads)
1952suburban171.jpg (69.53 KB, 73 downloads)

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
Thank you

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
Found them thanks under the oh so attractive 1970s paneling

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 232
Beware of the templates

The ones I got didn’t print off in the correct scale

Tried to tell Jim Carter

Not sure they heeded my message

I redrew

Assuming I drew it right am happy to share

Thanks

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,070
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,070
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
Beware of the templates

The ones I got didn’t print off in the correct scale

Tried to tell Jim Carter

Not sure they heeded my message

I redrew

Assuming I drew it right am happy to share

Thanks
The one that Tim posted is pretty close. I printed it out from the PDF. It's 1/8" short in the horizontal dimension, but on the money vertically. Probably not enough to worry about, but you could hold the point back 1/8" from the door edge and be right on the money.

I got some axle bumpers from Jim Carter that didn't fit quite right and let them know, but never got a response of any kind.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Those ad on lamps are great but just my opinion, they look like eyesores when mounted up near the body beltline .
{ as the original template suggests }

They look much better when mounted lower on the body...
Attachments
Suburban taillights laid low.jpg (126.45 KB, 33 downloads)
burb low lights.jpg (23.96 KB, 32 downloads)
burb doors 1.JPG (34.16 KB, 32 downloads)


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0