I just picked up a 1948 3800 pickup. Tie rod was so bent, rainbow-style, such that it created probably 45 deg. of toe-out on the front wheels, and we had to cut it in half in order to straighten the wheels to load onto my trailer.
So my question is, what is the difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton tie rod? It looks like the parts houses (Classic, COT40s, Jim Carter, etc) stock a tie rod for 1/2 and 3/4 tons, but not for 1 tons.
The tie rods are different between 1/2 & 3/4 ton and 1 tons. Here's a snip from the parts catalogs. It has specs (length and thread dia and pitch) that should help you find what you need.
Looking at a RockAuto listing for tie rod ends (they only have the left side), the 3800 tie rod apparently has internal threads.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I don't know about Chevrolet but in GMC the one ton uses a heavier tie rod than the 3/4 ton, but it will fit. We used to routinely replace 3/4 ton tie rods with one ton tie rods back when we could still find them.
I bought the drag link repair kit from Jim Carter some years ago. The listing was for 3100 through 3800. What I got was cups too small for the 3800 and springs much softer than the original. I needed to replace a broken spring so I had to use the supplied one. Now the steering wheel is no longer centered and it makes the steering box sloppy. I can't take up the slack when it's off center or it'll bind when it goes over center. I looked at Rare Parts listing for that same kit and it supposedly covers 3100 through 3800. It does not. Buyer beware.
1951 3800 1-ton "Earning its keep from the get-go" In the DITY Gallery 1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.