Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,262 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I just saw an AD GMC 700 series truck at the ATHS show. It had 6 lug hubs I believe, but then it had these cast spoke adaptors on both front and rear that allowed the truck to use open center Dayton type wheels.
I believe the adaptors were made by someone other than GMC, but I forget who.
Any how, I want to know if anyone has, or has seen some that have the small 10 lug pattern like the 1.5 or 2 ton AD trucks do? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 355 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 355 | Theres no adaptor involved, that how the dayton wheel works. Ussally has 5 or 6 larger bolts holding it to the hub and brakes drum. Most of the time you see daytons, the truck has air brakes, but not always. The ten bolt wheel, as most here call it is a budd. Unless you have a truck made before the 30's this is the only 2 choices there are. New truck still use the dayton pretty much like the older ones. The budd comes in many differnt hole patterns and circle sizes. If you want to put the dayton style on your truck you have to have all the parts not just the outer one you see. It would be a differnt hub, drum and the cast spoke part. Look for a semi-trailer of the same vintage as your truck, chances are it has the daytons your looking for. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Dayton Wheels, were an available option, on Advance Design GMC trucks, starting with the 400 series trucks. Available with, air brakes, & hydraulic brakes. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Yes, I know what you are thinking. Yes, many many trucks the whole hub holds the dayton wheel.
The truck I saw could use the regular budd type wheels with the removal of the adaptor.
There is the third choice, bud to dayton adaptor without a hub change. Apparently not very common but it was done.
I also talked to a guy at the show who has had several trucks with the adaptors, apparently his father liked dayton wheels and had the adaptors put on all his farm trucks. He is going to check on an AD COE he had that he thinks has the adaptors I need.
I am trying to find out if they did make them in the small 10 lug so I can start looking for a set. Thanks, Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Hey Grigg, You wouldn't happen to have a picture, of these wheels in question, would you. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 355 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 355 | Well i'll be the first to say I've not seen everything made. I, too would like to see a close up picture of this adapter part. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | If you look at the cast "wheel" as they are called, it unbolts from the hubs or brake drums. Seems like it is almost the same bolt pattern as a 10-lug wheel, or maybe eight? Maybe that's what you are seeing? I had a 52 GMC with those, and tore them all apart. Was awhile ago, can't remember details. It was air brakes on a 470.
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | |
| |