The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (lumbersawyer, 78buckshot), 167 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,474
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1468976 09/30/2022 4:13 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
1962 235 engine. 1951 truck. Carburetor is a YF 2100s. I have the larger 3 piece oil bath with a modern paper element in it.

I get a very pronounced and a annoying whistle at almost any throttle positions except for idle and WOT. My hypothesis is that something about the air cleaner results in this noise. I need to take a test drive without the air cleaner and/or with the smaller “true” oil bath I have to test that hypothesis.

In the meantime, any guesses or pointers on where to start looking?

I’m fairly familiar with the normal sounds of a carbureted engine. This seems unique and abnormal to me.


1951 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
As you suggested, drive it with the air cleaner completely removed and you'll have your answer.

If it still whistles, it's probably a vacuum leak somewhere (carb base to manifold, throttle body to base, etc).

Does it whistle when you rev the engine in the garage above idle?

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/30/2022 4:41 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
I had a similar problem a few years back. The whistle turned out to be a small vacuum leak at the air horn gasket due to warpage.


1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by MarkT
I had a similar problem a few years back. The whistle turned out to be a small vacuum leak at the air horn gasket due to warpage.

Air horn to air cleaner?


1951 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Spray some carb cleaner all around the potential vacuum leak spots while the engine is running and see if the rpms change. If they do, you have a vacuum leak.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Did the spray thing a while back. No leaks detected.

I believe this to be an air leak above the throttle plate, or just a function of the way air is entering the air filter, and not necessarily a vac leak.


1951 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Well then, drive it without the air cleaner installed and you'll know instantly whether that's the cause or not.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Whistling is actually worse with the air cleaner removed. I will try the smaller oil bath I have, that is still an oil bath, see if that changes anything.


1951 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
If it's whistling without the air cleaner, the air cleaner isn't the problem. Your carburetor has a vacuum leak.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
You might be right. Maybe an air leak around throttle shaft that only presents at certain levels of opening.

Or it might be some oddity in how the air flows around the choke or throttle plate. Gonna take some more figuring and head scratching.

The reasons I’m not fully persuaded that it’s a “true” vacuum leak (of manifold vacuum): carb spray test doesn’t indicate one, vac gauge doesn’t indicate one, idle quality is unaffected, and it happens when manifold vac should be fairly low.


1951 3100
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
If you still have vacuum wipers check both ends of the hose.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
My Packard developed the same whistle. Carb cleaner didn't show a leak either.

I took the carb off and snugged up all the screws holding it together (the center section attaches to the base with screws from the bottom so it can't be done on the car).

That cured it right up. The leak wasn't enough to make the car run rough, just enough to make an annoying whistle.

I told people it was the supercharger winding up.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Teach it to whistle your favorite tunes thumbs_up

Slightly loose carb bolts (as mentioned in above post) or a vacuum leak somewhere can cause the whistle.

History (or trivia which you probably did not wish to know): wink

In the early days of motoring, many cars whistled. Hudson had a carburetor manufactured for them by Detroit Lubricator, which was basically a rip-off of the S.U., that had a triangular air intake. This stopped the whistle, and Hudson started advertising the car as the "Silent Six".

Jon


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Good tips. Will snug up the carb bolts and see what happens.

Otto, this does sound oddly similar to a turbo. Even the throttle position and which it “engages” is the same as a couple turbo vehicles I’ve driven.


1951 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
That's hilarious, Jon.

My six is anything but silent. It ain't whistlin' Dixie, though!

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 10/02/2022 11:06 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Hudson's emblem is an inverted triangle. It's interesting that their carburetor had a triangular intake.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
The big, spaceship-looking oil bath that was used on some 235 cars. What kind of noise was that thing designed to reduce?


1951 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,837
Did you ever determine the source of the whistling?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
I did not. I actually disassembled the carb and put back together, for a completely different reason. But I did make note snug everything up very well upon re-assembly

The carb base gasket was partially torn when I removed the carb. I’m doubtful that was the cause of the whistle, but it’s currently my best theory.

The carb is still sitting in my toolbox from many weeks ago. Have a rag plugging the manifold at present. Good reminder to get back on this thing.


1951 3100

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0