| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,473 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 | I' have a 1949 6400. Ive been driving my old girl way more since the 12v upgrade and finally figuring out the carb issue. I'm thinking the front tires might be fifty years old. And looking it. I called my small town truck and farm equipment tire guy and he couldn't get a 7.5x20 tire anymore. Is specialty tire of America the last place to get these tires? I should have got them 10-12 years ago. I think they were only about $150 each back then. Haha | | | | | Joined: Aug 2022 Posts: 13 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2022 Posts: 13 | Pretty hard to find them now. I need 7 new ones for my new to me ‘54 4400. I’ve started sending some inquiries to Chinese suppliers on Alibaba because of lack of supply in the US. Sounds like we need to organize a group buy.
1954 Chevy 4400 2021 Mimaki JFX200-2513EX
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 | Not a bad idea. I think I'll call specialty tire soon and get a price on theirs. They didn't list a $ on their website, which generally isn't a good sign. Haha. Maybe they have a bulk discount. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | Nebraska tire was trying to get rid of some 7.50X20 for a long time. I think they finally got rid of all of them. 7.50x 20 became pretty much obsolete in the mid 1950's. Everyone simply replaced them with 8.25x20. 8.25x20 tires are available from several suppliers. But they are getting scarce too. Tire manufactures just don't have much interest in producing slow movers when they can't even supply the fast movers. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 477 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 477 | The tire guy at my work, (a Cat dealer) had no problem getting 7.50-20 tires. They were Chinese but they worked fine. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 173 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 173 | Post some contact information... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 48 | If you can get some more into on the Chinese tires I would appreciate it. I actually called specialty tire of America and they won't sell retail. Sent me to some other tire site and they didn't even list the 7.5s as being available. I can order 7x20s from Coker tire but they're around $400 each with shipping. | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,100 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,100 | Try SimpleTire.com They don't list 7.5-20 except farm implement style, but do have 8.25-20 highway style listed. If you can stand 3/4 inch wider that might be an option.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 477 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 477 | Check around your area with the tire companies that sell and mount heavy equipment tires. I had no problem getting them, but it's been a few years. Some of these trucks need the 7.50s on the front or they will rub! Also check Miller Tire. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 477 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 477 | Miller Tire has 7-50-20s highway tires in stock. There not listed on their web site and they have not had the Power Kings for two years. They are a STA tire for $460.49 plus tubes and flaps. Their phone # is 419-335-7010 Not a bad price, Coker has the same tire for $577
Last edited by Chris's 46 / 515; 09/16/2022 3:18 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2022 Posts: 15 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2022 Posts: 15 | Simple Tires sells tires on eBay. When I needed tires for my 6400 this year I checked daily. When I saw two 8.25-20 Power Kings I grabbed them. Eventually they put up four 8.25-20 Vee Rubber tires. I grabbed them,too. FYI 8.25 tire is not wider than 7.50, they are taller.
1946 2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | | | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,100 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,100 | Here's their eBay Store: SimpleTire
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2022 Posts: 15 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2022 Posts: 15 | tcleaderman: simpletire.com sells on eBay so they are essentially the same thing. When I was tire hunting I checked them both daily as will as doing a google search for 8.25-20 tires. I even bought tires from WalMart on the internet two times only to get a notice about 4 days later that they were out of stock. They refunded my money both times.
1946 2 ton
| | |
| |
| |