The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lightholder's Dad, Hawkman, Gdads51, BCBill, 1 invisible), 183 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,175
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
Hello all,

Recently acquired a 1953 Chevy 3100 pickup. The information on this site has been awesome!

I am starting to dig into this truck a little bit more. I already read most of the tech tips, but I was curious as to what folks think about replacing a fuel tank, or professionally cleaning an existing one? I removed the fuel line at the tank and there was a little bit of old (varnish) fuel that dripped out. I dumped about 2 gallons of fresh gas in hopes that it would drain but no luck. I'm guessing the tank is gunked up especially at the lower petcock. It sure smells like old old gas to me.

The truck ran roughly 10-15 years ago according to the previous owner. It was also in dry storage so I am confident there isn't any water or other contaminants in the tank.

I work in the auto parts industry and I have access to parts at wholesale pricing, so if needed I am not opposed to a new tank. Just wasn't sure on the quality and workmanship of new vs OE after cleaning. I am in no hurry to get this truck on the road, just want things done right.

Thanks!


1953 Chevy 3100 4 spd
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Myself and others have had decent results cleaning an old tank that is otherwise in good metal condition

I drain them out well
Put in about a gallon of clean gravel
Lots of water and some detergent of choice
Shake it around a lot
Rinse and rinse and rinse
Stick a vacuum discharge hose in it for a few hours

I’ve been running one truck that got that treatment well onto 10 years now
Takes a long time to build up line clogging levels of junk
I didn’t even put a filter anywhere in the system which I really should one of these days
Ideally under cab where the tank line goes to the steel line on the frame rail I think would be a good place.
-s

Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
Thanks for the info. So does the gravel get vacuumed out afterwards or how do you remove it? I assume the gravel is to break up any particles or contaminates?

Last edited by FRanch53; 08/23/2022 3:17 AM.

1953 Chevy 3100 4 spd
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I vote for reusing the old one if it doesn't have any holes in it.

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
You shake and dump all the gravel out of the big hole where the level sensor bolts in
It’s just for knocking out the chunks
Oh yeah I didn’t explicitly state it
But you should absolutely not do this process without first removing the fuel level sensor from the tank
-s

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
Removing the fuel sending unit will give you a good indication of conditions inside. Do yourself a long term favor; replace with a new one.


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
New tank is cheap insurance against future problems. Rockauto.com has good prices and it’s made close to home.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
If the truck has been sitting 10-15 years with Ethanol gas, it will have water at the bottom of the tank (if it hasn't dried out beforehand).
The hard facts are that the alcohol in the fuel will absorb moisture from the air (vented gas cap).
After several months, phase separation occurs. The fuel needs to be used (burned in combustion) or drained before this happens.
If left unused the separated water will react with steel and cause rust.

Additives can be added, before separation, which binds the water and fuel but this water absorption does not last forever.
Then you have even more water in the bottom of the tank.

If you plan on spending significant money on the truck and plan on using Ethanol gas, I would go with a tank made for Ethanol.
As a matter of fact I would change everything from the gas cap to carburetor to be Ethanol resistant or Ethanol tolerant.
One less thing to worry about.

I decided to only use Non-Ethanol gasoline. I purchased a new Spectra Premium steel gas tank made in Canada.
Attachments
E10.jpg (17.43 KB, 73 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by buoymaker
If the truck has been sitting 10-15 years with Ethanol gas, it will have water at the bottom of the tank (if it hasn't dried out beforehand).
The hard facts are that the alcohol in the fuel will absorb moisture from the air (vented gas cap).
After several months, phase separation occurs. The fuel needs to be used (burned in combustion) or drained before this happens.
If left unused the separated water will react with steel and cause rust.

Additives can be added, before separation, which binds the water and fuel but this water absorption does not last forever.
Then you have even more water in the bottom of the tank.

If you plan on spending significant money on the truck and plan on using Ethanol gas, I would go with a tank made for Ethanol.
As a matter of fact I would change everything from the gas cap to carburetor to be Ethanol resistant or Ethanol tolerant.
One less thing to worry about.

I decided to only use Non-Ethanol gasoline. I purchased a new Spectra Premium steel gas tank made in Canada.

Great information, thank you.

One of my vendors at work is Spectra Premium so I think I will order one up. If I can save the old tank I will do that, but for now I want to start fresh.


1953 Chevy 3100 4 spd
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
I installed the Canadian-made tank and found it to be of equal or superior quality to the original. New straps and cradles, too.
Attachments
IMG_20210914_150641_2CS.jpg (79.58 KB, 42 downloads)
IMG_20210914_150623.jpg (42.21 KB, 43 downloads)
IMG_20210919_162651.jpg (84.63 KB, 43 downloads)
IMG_20210919_164829.jpg (116.15 KB, 43 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 08/30/2022 10:04 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Is the new tank bigger? Or does is it just the perspective?

Either way it looks great.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
haha! Yes it's just the perspective of the lens on my shoe phone. If it isn't held reasonably parallel to the subject, the difference in depth makes the closer object look a lot bigger than it is.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
I think that tank is a real bargain at $200. I don't think you could properly clean up and seal an original one for that kind of money.

The original tank was solid but I emptied out a baseball sized pile of loose rust. I thought I had a picture of the rust pile I dumped out but I guess not. You can see how bad the sending unit was.
Attachments
IMG_20210919_130210.jpg (92.05 KB, 23 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 08/31/2022 2:21 AM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0