The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 105 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,440
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 25
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 25
I hoping that someone here can help to keep me safe. I have a 62 Chevy c-80 that had a leaking master cylinder. I also have a 60 Chevy c-20 that I broke one of the rear trailing arms on. I have since swapped the master cylinders, but haven't attempted to drive the big truck yet. Will the smaller bore sizes from the c-20 have a negative effect on the braking (and clutch) performance of this truck?

Thanks,
Kael

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
How much smaller is the C-20 master? If there is a big difference, you are better off getting a new master or rebuilding the one you have. If it is a small difference you should be able to drive it. When the truck has a load on it is when you will have problems.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
Personally,I wouldn't take the chance.There is a big difference in curb weight between the 3/4 ton C-20 and the C-80.Maybe you can get away with it in Wisconsin,but I am in New York where most folks drive funny.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
If master is too small, you won't be able to get solid pedal or none, even tho all is bled good. Even smaller amounts like 1/8" make a big diff. I didn't believe it, and tried it, never did have good brakes, till I got correct size Master. 80 series is a Big rig, close to 1-1/2" bore I bet, and 20 series only has about 1". Am I correct? The clutch sides are usually 15/16", and may stay the same on those.
It's about "Volume" needed to run all the brakes, not just Pressure.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 25
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 25
Thanks,
That is what I expected to hear. I don't remember the bore sizes right now although there is a difference of about 1/8". The biggest reason that I swapped it out originally is that I was quoted a price between $425 & $780 for a new replacement of the one that was on my truck when I got it. I later found out that the one on it was not the original one anyway. I am still looking at finding a reasonably priced replacement. Until then, the truck stays parked.

Kael

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 235
Maybe you can find a company that can rebuild the master for you. Might be cheaper than buying new

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Put kits in it. It,s easy to do. Get a brake cyl. hone. If it has pits that wont come out you can get them sleeved.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
Where can you get the proper rebuild kits for the 61 11/2 ton clutch/brake master cylinder? I got one from O'Relliey and it's the wrong one listed in there book.Both units bleed off.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0