| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W),
211
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,231 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2020 Posts: 197 1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed. | | 1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed. Joined: Jun 2020 Posts: 197 | I drove the truck up until the time I started the off frame of restoration. I did things a bit backwards. I rebuilt the engine then started the body work. It’s a rabbit hole as you all know. That we April 2020. Now that I am finished I figured I would simply add gas and drive again, but not so. I filled the bowl with gas, put the carb back together, and expected to drive off into the sunset. But that was not what happened. If I pour some gas into the carb the truck runs. But once that gas is gone the engine stops. I’m assuming one of the needle valves is stuck. I’m looking for your advice. Thank you. 216 with single barrel Rochester carburetor.
Last edited by ChevyDarren; 07/25/2022 10:37 PM.
Darren Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 81 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 81 | HI Darren,
Start at the beginning. Check if there is fuel in the tank, check if the petcock is open (if there is one of course). Is fuel getting to the pump? Is the pump out putting fuel at the correct pressure and volume? Is fuel getting through the filter? Then you check if the carburetor needle valve is stuck.
If you just want a shortcut, try rapping the carb near the fuel valve with the handle of a screwdriver a few times with it running and see if that helps.
Steve
Steve
1946 1/2 ton
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | The engine will run with fuel in the carburetor; therefore you have a fuel delivery system issue.
Test the fuel delivery system backwards.
(1) disconnect fuel line from carb and crank engine; is there any fuel with pressure? (2) If yes, rebuild carb. If no, disconnect fuel line from tank to fuel pump and add a second fuel source, possible a marine tank? (3) With new source to fuel pump repeat test one; is there any fuel? (4) If no, remove fuel pump and check cam lobe; if good rebuild fuel pump (5) Back to three; if yes, pump is working, and the problem probably is in the tank; which probably should now be dropped.
May be somewhat messy, but not difficult; just do your testing.
Jon Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | | | | Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 161 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 161 | A clear fuel filter is a cheap visual aid. Try priming the fuel pump by funneling fuel back through the line from the carburetor. I had to do this on an aftermarket pump.
I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
| | |
| |
| |