The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (dunfire), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
I have read more than a few threads on rebuilding the 3-speed tranny and watched several videos, all were very helpful on the things that they discussed. I have not yet seen anything on the removal of the rear bearing support. I have removed the retaining plug and the diagram in the manual appears to have the support pulled out from the back, but so far the puller that I cobbled using bolts to pull it out are not having any effect. I don't think I am near the breaking point, but I don't want to keep applying torque to it if it's never going to come out that way.

I've attached a picture of the support from the back view, the second picture shows where I pulled the retaining plug and doesn't add much but what the heck. Any advice?
Attachments
Rear Bearing Support.jpg (296.91 KB, 65 downloads)
Bearing Support Retainer Plug Hole.jpg (254.35 KB, 64 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
From memory...and I should add it has been a while since I rebuilt one of these...there is a plug you remove. It looks like it has been removed in your second image. Then the bearing support can be removed using a hook-type puller. It won't necessarily be easy. The last one I removed took a good bit of patience. Good luck.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,491
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,491
Your on the right track and Jon is right, but they will come out with patience. Here is a picture of what it looks like when its out. Othi g but that retained that you already removed.
Attachments


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
Thank you both, I will keep at it now that I don't have to second guess the approach. I appreciate the confidence you have given me to proceed.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0