The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, papas52, Bruce 1954-4100, tclederman, Forty9), 102 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,257
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1455670 06/20/2022 2:16 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
Right side brake light does not light.. Left and right brake lights have separate wires running the length of the the truck. I see 2 wires on the brake light switch which is mounted inside the engine compartment. The depressed foot brake pedal allows the the light switch to send current to the brake lights. I have traced the right side wire to a junction abut 3/4 of the way forward. No voltage. The switch turns the left side on but not the right side...
I'm stumped as to what I should try now. Switch? Wire? The left brake light works. Rear running lights work and signals work.. Just the right side brake.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
The problem is more than likely in the turn signal switch. Search turn signal wiring diagrams to understand how they work.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
And never under estimate a bad ground. I ran independent ground wires to all my lights from a dedicated ground connection box I installed on my ‘57 3200.


1957 Chevy 3200
Daily Driver
PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights.
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Several makes and styles of aftermarket turn signal switches were available back in the day. Some connected the turn signals, brake lights and parking lights with as many as 8 wires. How many wires are coming from the switch? What make/brand is it?

There is an old tech tip from Cletus about trouble shooting aftermarket turn signal switches, etc. Maybe it will be useful.
https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/turn_signal.htm

Last edited by Frank50; 06/22/2022 5:11 PM. Reason: add info and link

Professional Novice
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
Thank all of you for your responses. I need to study them and start sorting out the problem. What I have done so far probably doesn't make sense. There were 2 wires in addition to the power wire that could reach the outgoing switch terminal so made a split there. The other switch terminal had the power wire attached. Underneath the truck there were 2 wires that could join the brake wire to the taillights. Anyway, using the wiring diagram I need to sort out the miscellaneous wires.
I use a short strck to keep the brake pedal depressed when checking lights. I made a split here. Both brake lights work when the pedal is depressed. The parking lights work f and r The left turning signals work f and r. When the right turning signals are activated both the left and right rear signals blink.. The right front blinks only while both rear turn signals blink. As I said i need ro go back and sort using the wiring diagram.

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
2 wires connect to the switch located in the engine compartment.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Check the ground on both rear lights.

George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0