The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (MNSmith, LAJones48, Jays58, Wally / Montana, Peggy M, wilbur53, 5 Window 9434), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1455575 06/19/2022 1:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
I'm at wits end with this and need a second opinion.

For the past few years by '53 3600 has had horrible front brake screeching, to the point where I don't want to drive it as its embarrassing and terrible to listen to. I've replaced the drums(Raybestos 2008R) and shoes(Napa FLT FT310), new springs, and made sure that everything was greased. It has a dual master cylinder conversion, I even replaced the master thinking that maybe it was sticking internally and causing the shoes to drag.

Nothing has worked. If I clean the brake dust and scruff the drums I can get ~10 miles of quiet driving before it starts acting up again. Any thoughts? I must be so far into the weeds that I'm overlooking the obvious.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
Lots of older brake drums had a long coil spring resembling the one used to close a screen door wrapped tightly around the drum. It was there to dampen out the harmonics caused by vibrations when the brakes were applied. It's a low tech solution, but it works pretty well.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
X2 on Jerry’s solution.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
If a new drum doesn't have a groove just inboard of the reinforcing rib at the open side for the spring to fit into, it's possible to create one with a die grinder and a flame-shaped carbide burr by mounting the drum on a front spindle and slowly spinning the drum by hand against the burr. Wear safety glasses and gloves- - - -those shards of cast iron coming off the burr are sharp! It doesn't take much of a groove- - - -maybe 1/4" wide and 1/8" deep.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0