The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (jaycoop, Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, Shade Baby), 96 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,367
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
Looking for some advice from somebody who has kept their 6 volt horn after converting to 12 volts…. I have tested the horn with 12 volts and it is incredibly loud, but I’m concerned that I’m going to ruin it if I don’t run a 12V-6V converter.

Do I need to run a converter? If so, what kind of amp rating would I need?

Any replies appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.


~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
No, you are just fine. Just don’t lay on the horn for more that a few seconds at a time. In other words use it as you normally would.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
Thanks. That’s great news. I really never use it while driving unless it’s to honk at a friend…. One less worry with my wiring!


~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Like Martin said, you'll be fine. When I was a kid dad would go to the salvage yard and bring home 6 volt horns every time we traded cars. He didn't think the 12 volt horns were loud enough. I went to 12 volts on my 53 and I'm using the stock horns. They will get your attention.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,828
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,828
Driving in Atlanta I use the horn more than the brakes. It's the most important part of the truck!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 156
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 156
I have no clue as to the proper sounding horn(s) for my '54 truck. I did convert to 12v but want a sound as close to original as possible.


54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system.
JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,074
As you noted, having no clue what the proper sounding horn sounds like, everyone else is in the same boat. So it really doesn't matter. ohwell


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,840
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,840
Been running my 6v horns with a 12v system for a few years now. No issues at all, except for scaring the pants off the guy in front of me while being on his phone........


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Norcal Dave Here in deer country you want em loud to scare em back so they don't jump on the truck roof


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0