After about 2 1/2 years of fairly steady work (excluding winters), I'm just now finishing up my Suburban project. The data plate identifies it as being built in late 1950, but it's titled (and has been since at least sometime in the 60s) as a 1951. It was something of a basket case when I acquired it--I bought it off Ebay, on a "Make an Offer" deal that I was sure the seller would not accept (about 55% of the asking price); well, he accepted. And the actual truck was a lot worse off than the pictures supplied (surprised????). My welding skills skyrocketed, as I had to replace floorpans, inner, middle, and outer cowl patches, the entire cowl under the windshield, the dashboard, sections of all fenders, and some questionable places on the rockers and door bottoms. The trickiest part was getting the cowl and dash to coordinate perfectly in order to accommodate the windshield pieces. It came out better than I expected.
I kept things pretty much original (as I have with my other trucks); the engine is a 1952 235 which was already in the truck. It has the original 4-speed transmission. I replaced the gas tank, all brakes and lines, fuel lines, and added a new wiring harness in a 12-volt upgrade. The interior is done as original, with cardstock headliners and side panels. I used original colors for the interior. The truck didn't have it's original third seat--I'm in the process of making one out of the frame of a front seat from a pickup. I still need to decide what sort of floor treatment I will do in the passenger compartment (I've read options extensively in this forum).
My thanks to all who contribute to this forum--I have used your posts extensively, and particularly to my old buddy, Alvin Parris, who always provides good advice and needed encouragement over the years.
I've attempted to attach a couple pics--I hope the attachment manager works.
Wow, nice job Jim! The pictures are showing up and your work looks great…I am hoping to get there on my 53’ Chevy 3100 step side at some point as well. Thanks for posting. Jim 2
Nice job and your project turned out really well. Congrats on finishing!
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
You did outstanding work. Show some interior pictures. Surely, something to be proud of - both on ownership and in the work you accomplished. Nice job!
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Thanks for your kind words about the truck. As requested, I attach a few pictures of the interior of the Suburban. Please excuse the glare from the lights in the shed--but I think you can get the idea.
Ya know jmmmn37 - by doing this you have joined the life timeSuburban Advice Club now (SAC), and can provide adivice to those who are restoring their suburban. Its a life time memebrship - Congratualtions! (nice interior work BTW)..tom
The headliner cardstock came from Chevy Truck Classic Parts. They sell a kit that contains pieces for all of the roof sections. They have to be trimmed to correct size and dimension (which is a royal pain!). It turns out that the section with the cutout for the dome light in their Suburban kit actually fits the panel truck and not the Suburban (I discovered, as did they after I told them, that the Suburban and Panel dome lights are on opposite sides of the appropriate roof bow). Getting these panels to fit correctly was actually one of the more difficult and frustrating operations of the restoration--getting them cut to the perfect length and curvature to the sides, while trying to hold them overhead and into the roof bows was a real trial and really a job for 4 hands rather than two (I enlisted my wife, who was a good sport). Overall, it came out pretty well, though there are a couple small gaps and irregularities, which are detectable on close inspeciton.