The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 182 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have just purchased one of the old self cancelling blinker controls that has the rubber wheel. I would like to know how well they work. I am going to use it even if that part doesn't work for me because it is such a cool looking old part.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
I have one of those, but I haven't tried to make it work. They depend on good traction between the rubber wheel and the steering wheel hub. Likely the rubber has turned rock hard and won't get good traction. If you can find some way to freshen up the rubber it should work. Maybe a large fat o-ring to replace the "tire" on the wheel.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 247
J
J M Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 247
I remember more of them not working then working even when they were new. It was probably more of a sales premotion then anything else.
Jim

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I'm just installing one on a Willys truck. They are Sparton. They adjust in and out, and of course you slide the unit up and down the column to get just the right contact with wheel hub. They work nice. Had a hard time finding a 6/7 wire. Most are 4.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I have used them through the years & they work pretty slick. It seems they cancel too quick with just a small movement of the steering wheel.

George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
No sense messing with an outdated design. If 12v do a search for self cancelling ELECTRONIC turn signal. About $70 0n Amazon and ebay or ten bucks off a junked Kawasaki motor cycle. We make up a stem to mount on column in normal position or you can use a right and left momentary switch button (like a motorcycle).


Evan
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I've looked at the Signal Dynamics style units before and having to rig up buttons. Even for me, who is not exactly a purest, that is way too far off and funky for an old truck. I would rather try to remember to place lever back to middle or use the wheel type. When you are driving an old truck you tend to remember it.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
I had used one I installed on a 50 1/2 ton. I didn't expect it to work but surprisingly it did.
I recall the rubber wheel needs to be uniform (no worn spots) and flexible.
I had more trouble with the old switch lubricant that had dried up.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I did have a hard time finding one with the wheel and 7 wires. The one that I bought is an old Allstate one. It is really cool looking. It has the Allstate logo over an outline of the United States.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
Originally Posted by truckernix
I did have a hard time finding one with the wheel and 7 wires. The one that I bought is an old Allstate one. It is really cool looking. It has the Allstate logo over an outline of the United States.

Post a picture of it.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
This is the blinker control that I bought. I really like the look of it, so much history there.
Attachments
allstate1.jpg (9.47 KB, 184 downloads)
Allstate Control


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I have trained myself to turn off the turn signal after the turn is completed so I don’t have to worry about a wheel having traction.

ED


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by EdPruss
I have trained myself to turn off the turn signal after the turn is completed so I don’t have to worry about a wheel having traction.

ED
I used to be trainable, but not so much anymore. grin

truckernix, that is a cool item. I'd install it. thumbs_up


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
Truckernix,
Seeing this post reminds me, my truck came with one of those!
I will have to dig it up. I do not remember if it had any cool All-State type logos on it. It was mounted on my steering column but it was not wired up.
-T


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Here's a couple pix of the AutoLamp 9000 4-wire turn signal that I have.

Notice that the rubber wheel is pretty torn up. It looks like it would be very difficult to restore that rubber. I took a video of how the self-cancelling works, but can't post it here. If Anyone is interested, PM me and I can e-mail it.
Attachments
IMG_5135.JPG (157.83 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_5137.JPG (410.99 KB, 162 downloads)
IMG_5136.JPG (234.79 KB, 163 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
Here is the one that came with my truck.
Marked "Guide 6004" looks like originally black but has green over- spray on it.
Wheel seems good. But I do not have turn signals on the truck so I can't test it per say.
-T
Attachments
20220615_125157.jpg (172.39 KB, 156 downloads)


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Wrenchbender The ones I have had cancelled pretty quick too,Guide works fine but you do forget it at times. I think the 55-2nd and newer can be put on older columns so you have self cancel.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I thought I was going to have to rig up a monitor bulb because I didn’t see a little jewel lens on it. It turns out that there is a bulb inside and the little sign is translucent. I took the switch apart to clean it up and get it working. I was successful but I had quite the time with the tiny parts and springs.

I am going to try and restore the wheel some but I may try and replace it, I was just in a hardware store and got an electrical socket with a big rubber outside cover. Part of it is almost an exact copy of the wheel rubber with a great feel to it.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I was able to cut the top of the rubber from this light socket and make a nice new wheel for my self cancelling signal control. Once I cut the piece off, it looked like it was made to order for the application.
Attachments
IMG_6186.jpg (58.6 KB, 68 downloads)


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
So I now have one Allstate unit working correctly. I have installed it on my 38 Chev and I will put one on my truck when I get another one working correctly. It works so well that it gives the same experience as a built in unit. I wondered if that was actually possible and apparently it is.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0