The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Southerntruck, Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, 1955 1 Series, fonz8261, 2 invisible), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#145418 01/18/2006 12:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
Here's one for all us guys with Little BIG Trucks, who has the shortest wheelbase on a stock chassis? Shortest Truck?

I have a 1960 Chevy Viking L60 it has the shortest wheelbase offered on any of the big truck, 121". The Cab is 89.75" BBC, it has a CA of 60", CE of 95" and a total leangh of 184.75. A short bed pickup has a wheelbase of 115", & OL of 186.625". So my truck is about a full 2" shorter then a Short Box Pickup.

#145419 01/18/2006 3:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Doggonnit Jolly, I'd have ya beat, if I hadn't removed all the sheet metal, & cab, from my '53 Chevy COE 5100 series tractor. It has a 110"in. wheelbase. As it sits now, it's just a rolling chassis.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#145420 01/19/2006 12:13 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 35
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 35
Well Jolly,if Spanky would have had you beat, then maybe I can step up. I've got a 51 Chev COE tractor. Might have to measure it up this weekend. What do you think Spanky, is it the same length as your 53? That short wheelbase was one of the things that attracted me to the rig.

Joe

#145421 01/19/2006 12:53 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 199
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 199
Hey Jolly,nice truck and I like the setting for the picture.
I have a question for you since my next project is a 61 C60 Viking? Is the rear end in your truck a 14 bolt and if so,is this the same rear end that is talked about so much by all the 4X4 guys? I think that rear end looks way to big to go under a pickup, but I dont know and thought you might.
Hobert


"The Lord is my shepherd"
#145422 01/19/2006 6:07 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
The Much talked about " GM 14 Bolt " rear axle is form 3/4 to 1 ton GMC/Chevy trucks built from 1973-88. The axle in my L60 is the Optional Chevrolet 2-speed 15,000 lbs axle. I have a GM 14 Bolt I plan on installing in my 1965 GMC 1 ton & upgrading to disk brakes.

#145423 01/19/2006 6:10 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Yep Joe, As I recall, your truck is also a 5100 series, so it would indeed, be a 110"in. wheelbase.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#145424 01/21/2006 7:37 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 117
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 117
Jolly,
That is a real nice truck but there used to be a 60 or 61(not sure) GMC around here that was a mobile home mover. I'm not sure but it seemed a little shorter than yours. I'll check to see if it is still around. It was complete and parked in a yard about 15 miles away.

#145425 01/21/2006 8:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 140
My dad's friend has a 1961-1966 Ford F-700 that is probaly about 12 feet long. It is a coe that once moved house trailers


Now boltless but looking
1951 F-1 350/350
1965 Mustang 355 glide
1971 F-100 401 fe it hates me
1972 Maverick 302 c4
#145426 01/22/2006 10:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
Well My truck was also used to haul Hillbilly Mansions, those black spots on the door is were they painted out the name of the outfit that used it for so many years. It's got one BIG hitch sticking out the back.

I have not measured it myself, but I do know they cut off all the frame from the rear spring hangers back, not how much is gone, when some of this snow melts I could get out there with a tape and see, but I'll bet it not much as this truck is on the shortest factory frame for this size truck for this year.

#145427 01/24/2006 4:16 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
We watched the Led Zeppelin concert DVD last night, The Song Remains The Same. In the scene where they are disembarking at the airport in NYC there is a '70s Ford that looks like a ½ ton with the rear wheels right at the back of the cab. A strange looking animal.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#145428 01/24/2006 9:22 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
I travel a lot for work and I've seen those around often. They're used to tow trailers (baggage, etc.) around the airports. I've seen mostly F*rds and D*dges and some Chevys in my travels. I'm not sure if the airlines modify them or if it's a special from the factory. They sure do look funny, though. Must be a nice SMOOTH ride! wink


Jim Blake
Help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org) through Team in Training (www.teamintraining.org). Help put a stop to ALL cancers.

My truck: '49 3800 Stakebed/Dump
#145429 01/24/2006 11:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Those airport "tugs" were done by independant companies who specialize in airport/handling equipment. All started out life as regular P/U chassis.

Put this info with a dollar (or two) and it'll get you a cup of coffee. grin


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0