The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Ponchogl, JW51, IHPWR), 98 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,431
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1401645 03/16/2021 9:53 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
I have a 1950 3100 Chevrolet with a 216. It came with a Carter 730S carb. I have never had the engine running, but I feel like that day is getting closer. I have a question on the carb. I have attached two pictures of the carb and in the second picture I have put an arrow by the open inlet near the choke. I am wondering what gets attached to this inlet?? I hope someone can help me out on this.

Thanks, Jerry
Attachments
20210316_172416 (2).jpg (210.53 KB, 254 downloads)
20210316_172514 (2)_LI.jpg (139.49 KB, 255 downloads)

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
The heat tube to activate the automatic choke.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
OK, but where would the other end of the heat tube connect? Thank you for the quick reply.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Don't know.

The 3100 would have come with a Rochester B with manual choke.

You now have a carburetor with an automatic choke.

If there is no place to attach the heat tube (generally on the exhaust manifold); one may fabricate a "heat stove" to use to supply heat to the automatic choke:

Heat stove fabrication

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
Thank you Jon! Great information. I will let you know if it works out.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Carbking What about letting your engine get raw air that way ??

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Many car companies allowed raw air anyway.

Pontiac, for one, ran TWO choke lines: (1) first line from a fitting on the air intake of the carburetor (below the air cleaner, thus filtered air) to the heat stove, (2) the second line from the heat stove to the choke.

I never did like the cheaper set-ups where unfiltered air was introduced to the carburetor, but then no one asked me wink

In the case of the OP, either the hot air line MUST be installed, or the choke butterfly MUST be fixed in the open position; or the engine is going to run exceptionally rich, if it runs at all.

As far as calibration is concerned, the amount of air entering this area is limited by a restrictor in the vacuum source circuit to the automatic choke. Thus the calibration takes this into account.

Jon


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
The choke stove tube on Chevy V8's used to run all the way through the passenger's side exhaust manifold, and drew heated air, not exhaust gas, into the choke housing. When the tube would burn or rust out after several years, the carb would draw hot exhaust gas and soot into the choke and really mess things up!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
Jon,

I made up a heat stove and line to the carb. Thank you for your knowledge and help. I hope to be starting the motor in a month or so.

Jerry
Attachments
20210323_183926.jpg (176.83 KB, 167 downloads)
20210323_183942.jpg (183.13 KB, 166 downloads)

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Let us know how it runs.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
So I now have the truck finished and on the road. The choke opens up to wide open after a drive, but as soon as I shut off the motor the choke butterfly completely closes and then does not reopen, so hot start does not work. If I get out of the truck and open the choke butterfly the truck restarts. Any ideas on how to fix for hot starts?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
OEM choke stove tubes were steel, used a woven fiberglass insulator sleeve, and were as short as possible to minimize heat loss. You probably need to lose the loop in the tubing and insulate it so enough heat makes it to the choke housing to be effective. That copper tube will dissipate a lot of heat in a hurry. If the fast idle linkage is adjusted properly, holding the gas pedal to the floor during a hot start will force the choke open. It's called a "choke unloader" and it's designed into the carburetor. No need to manually open the choke plate.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
Wow! So that's what a 1950 216 looks like! I've never seen one so clean and neat and shiny!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Jerry is correct about the steel choke tube (tubing insulation used to be available from NAPA, have not tried recently).

The choke should NOT close immediately, regardless of the material used for the tube. Check that the fast idle linkage is correctly adjusted.

Jon


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
Thanks for the replies. Do you have any idea where I could get the procedure for the fast idle adjust? Also, if I was to push the gas pedal to the floor for a hot start would that shoot in a big squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump? And could that cause a flooding condition right off the bat?

Jerry

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
The 730s is an aftermarket carburetor; but it essentially the same as the O.E. 715s Studebaker.

The reference section of your local library should have an older "Motors" manual that would cover adjustment of the type WE used on the Studebaker.

Look at the sections on "unloader" and "fast idle". Going from memory, there is a spring on the fast idle cam inside the choke housing that can be installed wrong.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
I’m going to admit my ignorance. No idea you could find such a thing in a public library.


1951 3100
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Many libraries have a "reference" section. They won't allow the books to leave the library, but generally they will allow one to peruse the books at the library.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
What's a library?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
I have a 1949 (I think) Motors Manual at home. I will try to remember to look and see what it says.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
I was able to find these pics from the Studebaker forum site and doing a search. I will try to go through these. I am not very experienced with these carbs, but willing to learn.....
Attachments
Carter Carb.jpg (138.56 KB, 94 downloads)
Carter Carb1.jpg (170.63 KB, 97 downloads)
Carter Carb2.jpg (52.54 KB, 97 downloads)

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Finally remembered to pull my Motors Manual out. Has 0 information on carbs in the Studebaker section. The Carter Down Draft W-Type carb specs table does not show a 730 or 715 at all, so I've got nothing helpful.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
Jon, Jerry, Otto and Eric,

I was able to lengthen my gas pedal arm and that now allows the throttle to open all the way. I have now driven it a few times and it appears that is helping with the hot start issue I was having. I want to thank all of you for your help! I have attached a picture of my truck.

Jerry
Attachments
20220501_141340 (2).jpg (411.17 KB, 52 downloads)

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
NICE TRUCK!

Jon


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Jerry m A month or so ? I must not be very patient,I'd wanna hear it tonight. Have learned not to let them get side-lined in the garage to easy to lose interest but whatever !!

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
EchoBravoSierra Those books all have different advice,read on bearing changing in the truck,all different.So done it the way we done it 60 years ago,keeps 30 pound gage pegged 9000 miles so far runs fine !!

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
Originally Posted by Jerry M.
Jon, Jerry, Otto and Eric,

I was able to lengthen my gas pedal arm and that now allows the throttle to open all the way. I have now driven it a few times and it appears that is helping with the hot start issue I was having. I want to thank all of you for your help! I have attached a picture of my truck.

Jerry


Glad to hear it, Jerry M.

Good looking truck.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0