The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shaffer's1950, J Lucas, wilbur53, baldeagle), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,297
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1
I have a TH-400 from an '86 motorhome that has an emergency brake installed on the tailshaft. I'm not sure exactly how to get it off and any help would be appreciated. Also, I'm not in need of it, so if anyone is interested in it please let me know.

[img]http://jdenton.homeunix.com/camaro/tranny/DSCF0430.jpg[/img]
[img]http://jdenton.homeunix.com/camaro/tranny/DSCF0431.jpg[/img]
[img]http://jdenton.homeunix.com/camaro/tranny/DSCF0432.jpg[/img]
[img]http://jdenton.homeunix.com/camaro/tranny/DSCF0433.jpg[/img]

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy busterswt, I've never done this job before but here goes with some suggestions which may help, T.H.400s in trucks have their output yokes retained by a bolt in the center of the yoke, is there one on this tranny, from the pics it looks as though there may be a flange mounting of the output yoke to the brake drum area, try removing those bolts and pulling off the yoke that may reveal what is bolted to the output shaft and holding everything together, hope some of this helps.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 117
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 117
He is gonna put that trans in a Camaro, so if anyone needs a set up like that..................

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Are you sure its a TH400? I understood there was a bigger model used in motorhomes and other big light trucks called the TH475.

I'm pretty sure the transmission in my P30 is a TH475.

I've no idea how to remove the brake, but given how I plan to use it I think its a good thing.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
Like 3B,I've not encountered this set up yet,but this is how I see it being. I'm assuming there's a bolt through the yoke's center,into the output shaft.By removing that bolt,you should be able to remove the yoke from the drum. Once you get the yoke off,you might be able to remove the 4 bolts holding the tailshaft housing on and slide the housing,with E-brake,off.Then find a tailshaft housing from a car or light truck T-400 and install it. Make sure the housing length matches the output shaft length. Hopefully you won't have to replace the output shaft to get the right combination.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Remove the large nut & the flange. The drum should slide off like a rear drum. Than you can remove the bolts holding the backing plate to the rear housing.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 27
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 27
By the way, you do know that the tailhousing and output shaft of this trans are different from those without the e-brake, right?

Joe Padavano


Joe Padavano
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
joe; I knew the housing was different,but was hoping the shaft would be the same. Sounds like this is where it gets ugly...
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
As said, start with Yoke bolt first. The drum may come off with it. Then bolts for back plate are inside. Keep in mind that anyone wanting this would need the yoke, trans end cover, the cables and mounts for same, AND, that special slip joint drive shaft end you show in bucket to work on whatever they are doing. You will need to find diff trans shaft end cover and another bolt on yoke. I'm wondering if they had that style in cars, as would need 2piece driveshaft, so you can have a slip joint somewhere in it. Did Camaro's have enough length for two piece shafts?? You may need to find trans with slip type end shaft, much the same as smaller trans would have. You should have saved this trans for the COE builders! What would you have to have for the complete brake set-up if you remove? [email protected]. I'm in Indiana.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 9
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 9
Old post but was wondering if you still have the emergency / park brake from the TH400?

I need one for my 1947 truck project. It's going onto a Gear Vendors overdrive behind my SM 420. I need the brake because my differential has no park brake...

If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0