The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (kades51, Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,319
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#145117 01/22/2006 5:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3
Hey All-

Looking for a brownie for my 58 GMC 370. Want a Spicer 5831 A, C or E, as these are the ones with the .73 overdrive. Anybody got one? Anybody know what trucks these came in so I know what to look for in the wrecking yards?

Thanks

Gary

#145118 01/23/2006 5:59 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
I looked for one for quite a while before I got the regular 2 speed one for my 1 ton. Probably over a year without seeing anything. I saw a bigger overdrive at a truck place near austin that I thought about.

A knowledgeable old trucker said look for where they have oil field trucks as they had to do a lot of highway miles and often had overdrives.

#145119 01/23/2006 6:09 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Hi Gary, welcome to the Stovebolt!

I was in Edmonds twice yesterday. I came through on the ferry heading to look at a truck that is for sale.

Last summer there was a truck for sale in Spokane that had a Brownie. I was tempted to buy the truck in part for that box, but didn't do it. I rarely see them for sale, but would like to have one too.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#145120 01/23/2006 7:36 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 43
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 43
Gary,
Most guys don't know what they are. I called a wrecker asking if he had a brownie, said he wasn't sure so I drove out and he showed me a 2 speed rear end. I bought some other parts and there on the ground in his transmission was a 5831A. He had no idea what it was. My point is you need to go and look. Find some truck wreckers and look under the bigger trucks and in the transmission piles. I bought the brownie and would now like to find the shifting tower. Good luck.

#145121 01/23/2006 10:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 58
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 58
Try calling this salvage yard in Kansas. It is one giant yard with a lot of older stuff. If anyone would know what a brownie was and have one it is these guys. "Truck Wholesale" Wellsville kansas 785-883-4117. Good luck.


55 Cabover
#145122 01/25/2006 11:54 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247

#145123 01/26/2006 3:49 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 12
4
Junior Member
Junior Member
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 12
So is the brownie basically a transfer case that instead of low/direct, has a low/direct/and overdrive?


Keep on Trucking
#145124 01/26/2006 5:03 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Yup, it's just a second transmission mounted behind the main transmission.

There were many different gear configurations available ie: Under/Direct, Double-Under/Under/Direct and Under/Direct/Over etc.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
#145125 01/26/2006 6:51 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 37
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 37
I've been looking for one of these for a while, too. A yard about an hour south of here wanted $350 for a 5831B (same as the one Jolly has 2.35/1.00/0.85). It was from a 60's GMC IIRC.

There is a place in Toledo, Ohio, that can sell you a new or used one. I've never called to find out how much they want, though. I think it's called Goody's truck parts.

What I am curious about is, how much torque can these things handle? I want to use one in my GMC, and I hope it could at least tolerate a mild SBC rebuild, without breaking and causing me to track down expensive and hard to find pieces.


1969 GMC K/2500 (w.i.p.)
#145126 01/26/2006 10:29 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 268
Howdy Guys, I just updated the Spicer 5831 Auxiliary Transmission page of my site with some info I got in the mail a while back, I figured now would be a good time to do it.

Torque & Horsepower rating for the 5831 comes from the brochure I got, Torque 275 lbs. ft., Horsepower 150. I plan on using it behind a GMC 401M V6, which is rated for 372 lbs. ft. torque & 237 HP. I'm sure it will hold up. it came from a GMC W5500 Dump Truck with a 351 V6.

I plan on using it in my 1965 GMC 1 ton behind the stock SM-420 4-speed.

On a side note, I posted the Photo Gary sent me of his 1958 GMC F-370 <~~~Right there, hope you don't mine eh.

#145127 01/26/2006 5:39 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 12
4
Junior Member
Junior Member
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 12
I have a Suzuki Samurai and one of the mods I've done is swap in lower transfer case gears. I have to think it's possible to take a NP205 and swap in higher transfer case gears (if anyone makes them). After swapping in the higher T-Case gears, you would have the same as a brownie box, except you'd only have low and high, no direct. A NP205 is rated for more than 275lbs/ft and 150hp as well. With a 1.98 low ratio, combined with a granny low, combined with a 4.56 or lower rear end, you oughta be able to pull just about anything. Couple that 4.56 rear end with a .7 OD, and you can cruise down the road all day long.

4.56 rear, with .7 od, and 33" diameter tires=2113 RPM @ 65 MPH...not too bad at all


Keep on Trucking
#145128 01/26/2006 5:55 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 12
4
Junior Member
Junior Member
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 12
If you didn't feel like you needed the low range, maybe the better option would be a gearset consisting of a 1:1 low and .7:1 high...

The next obstacle is either finding someone who manufactures this gear set or finding someone willing to manufacture it cheaply..


Keep on Trucking
#145129 01/27/2006 3:54 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
5831s around here seem to go for about $500 with u-joints and shaft stubs, they have several at the big truck yard. I would have one already but I can't seem to find a shifter assembly for one, not that there is any more room for another lever in the cab with 4 speed, two speed rear and emergency brake already.

Chris

#145130 01/29/2006 12:17 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 37
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 37
Chris,
where are you located?


1969 GMC K/2500 (w.i.p.)
#145131 01/29/2006 1:47 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
northwest florida


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0