I have a '50 2 ton cab over engine, model 5700, and it has a mechanical parking brake that activates the rear shoes. The front of the system is necessarily different than a standard cab, as the brake handle cannot attach to the transmission since in the COE model the tranny is behind the driver. Thus, the handle is to the left of the clutch pedal next to the driver kick panel. The handle is attached to a long rod that angles back to the center pivot. From there there are brake cables going to each wheel.
I am speculating that your truck would have a park brake handle attached to the tranny with a rod going to the same center pivot and cables that I have. Someone with same/similar truck as yours should chime in to clarify.
I would suggest getting a service manual for your truck to .help with the rear axle assembly. Reproductions can be found on line and you can also go to Old Online Chevy Manuals
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/I sourced new brake cables from inlinetube.com The outside diameter of the cables were smaller than the original but the cable clamps on the backing plates were modified to allow fitment
Kent