The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1449142 04/23/2022 6:34 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
OK, On 52 with a 216 was flooding out after a short period of running, less than two minutes. Checked the look of the carb and gas was on the manifold and looked to be flooded out. I knew the timing was right because at cold start, little choke and two pumps on the pedal and it fired right up then it quickly quit. I wondered if there was water in the tank from sitting, so I pumped out some gas from the tank into a clear plastic container. Gas looked clean and no water sitting in the bottom. I have a plastic in line filter and the screw in type on the carb intake. I then pulled the top of the carter YF off and found a grey paste in the bottom of the bowl. I took the carb off and pulled the accelerator pump out to find the diaphram falling apart.

So the question is does ethanol cause the inside of a carb to deteriorate leaving the grey sludge in the float bowl and destroy the accelerator pump diaphragm?

Could fine junk in the tank make it through the filters?

I have re plumbed the gas tank pick up in the tank so gas is pumped out the top as is done on later years. Gas is not sucked out the bottom of the tank.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Man! You are getting all the bad stuff thrown at you. You'll be an expert when your old truck is purring.

After months, Ethanol breaks down to fuel and water components. The additives you buy and pour in the tank may help the engine run on bad gas but it prolongs the misery if you don't get all the old gas out of the system. Water in a stock gas tank causes severe rust, rust in the steel fuel lines and Ethanol dissolves old style rubber fuel hose. Ethanol dissolves fuel pump and carburetor diaphragms. You have to purchase newly made (not NOS) fuel pump and carburetor rebuild kits that are Ethanol tolerant. Most fuel filters catch tiny and larger particles but not water.


I had this problem. I had to replace or rebuild everything from gas cap to carburetor. For example, I pulled the fuel sender out (rusted) and took pictures of the tank (more rust). My advice is to plan now if you want to run Ethanol. If the EPA and like groups push through E20 (long story), matters will get worse. Modern upgrades to old classic vehicles usually get into stainless, hoses made for Ethanol, fuel injection and tank fuel pumps. Our old parts are still safe using non-Ethanol gas but the cost and availability of this fuel can be an issue.

Last edited by buoymaker; 04/23/2022 8:38 PM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Good advice! I had the tank out and cleaned many years ago, but this has been sitting for quite a while. It may even be considered a barn find. At one time in the past, I think a fuel pump puked on me and put grey sludge in the system too. At that time, the rubber in the carb was ok so I blamed the fuel pump. I have also used a lot of sea-foam to keep things cleaned out as well.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
The Carter YF was last produced approximately 35 years ago, so "young they are not".

Today, the YF has 3 major issues, none of which are the fault of Carter, and a few minor issues which may be attributed to old age.

(1) The use of a fuel valve from a FLAPS kit which has too large an orifice and causes flooding
(2) The neoprene style accelerator pump, which will harden after being place in modern fuel IF ALLOWED TO SIT DRY!!!
(3) Dr. Goodpliers, and all of his descendants, who believe that all components of all YF's are completely interchangeable!

In general, the diaphragm will NOT give problems if the engine is started sufficiently often to keep fuel in the bowl. Let it dry out, and I know an excellent source of rebuilding kits! wink

Jon


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
I think this was one of your kits. The truck has sat for a long time, so that explains the pump problem. I haven't figured out the grey sludge though.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
I want to let everyone know that Carbking, in addition to being the world's greatest Carb expert is also a class act. He offered to send me a new part for my carb because he thought I was displeased with his parts. I am not displeased and the parts were correct and just what I needed. My fuel system problem is something other than the carb. The problem is caused by me not starting the engine over the winter and then something else that is yet to be determined.

Carbking will continue to be my go to guy for carb parts and I I recommend him to all of you as well. My apologies for sending out the wrong impression


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
When I purchased my 1956 Cadillac in 2001 it still had its original fuel pump. It worked perfectly until ethanol was mandated by the Feds in 2007 to curb Atlanta's smog problem.

Within 2 months the original fuel pump diaphragm expanded in size and only pumped half the required fuel. This was due to ethanol exposure. A new, Advance Auto fuel pump failed almost immediately because it was not ethanol resistant. The next one was.

I have not had further ethanol-related problems with that car because I drive it regularly and the fuel gets used up within a couple weeks or less.

When I began working on this 1950 3100, its fuel system was completely ruined by both ethanol and rust. The original fuel pump was completely sludged with yellow goo. Fortunately the carburetor had stayed dry and was usable for about a year until I rebuilt it recently.

The fuel tank and fuel line to the pump were full of rust.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I believe that the yellow goo comes from the accumulation of deposited on the inside of the tank. With leaded gas, it will stay put and not be a problem. Add ethanol to the gas and all of 70 years of deposits are dissolved and end up downstream into the fuel pump, carburetor, valve stems and seats.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0