I bought a set of sanding blocks from Amazon. I also bought 2 rolls of self adhesive sand paper in 2 different grits from them. The longest block is about 15 inches. Also got a couple contour blocks with the kit. sanding block kit
Last edited by Wayne67vert; 03/29/202212:35 PM.
Wayne 1938 1-Ton Farm Truck Stovebolt Gallery Forums 1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!
Thanks. That what I was looking at, and the next one cheaper. Wont be here for three weeks unfortunately. Guess I yank the engine and get that running.
I have the same set that Wayne linked. Where are you that Amazon won't deliver for 3 weeks? They even get some stuff to me in Alaska in 3 days. (I think they fly their jet up here though).
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Hmm. I just looked at the link that Wayne posted and it says it would be to me by Friday if ordered right away today.
But that's Amazon for you.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I don’t understand the shipping I ordered a firewall pad and it started in Arkansas,to Miami and back to Ontario The package went for a 20 hour drive in the opposite direction before heading back.I guess I got my 50 bucks worth of shipping charges .
That sanding block kit contains the several blocks my professional paint supply house recommended. They work great. Remember to always use the longest possible in any given space. For curves, I used various diameter heater and radiator hose wrapped with sandpaper.
I use the Durablocks and soft sanding blocks. They are on Amazon also. Mutli-colored hard foam blocks in different shapes. Stiff yet flexible and they really help getting around and into compound curves and details. They come with samples of self sticking sanding sheets and you can buy more.
Arrrgggg. Still no blocks!!!!! Now they say another week.
If anyone local to me had them I would have bought them.
A number of times, I've gone straight to the source of the product that I was looking at on Amazon and got a better price and free shipping to boot. Amazon is convenient, but sometimes it just sucks.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
If you can get up to Gorham, I'll lend you my sanding blocks.
That's the stovebolt spirit!
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I just get these at Rockler. I have about 5 for different grits and then I can purchase any type paper I need. From each sandpaper sheet you get 4 pieces for the hand sander. I've used this same sander for over 50 years and it has always worked fine. https://www.rockler.com/rubber-sanding-block
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Thanks Tom. While I have been waiting for them I ripped the engine out. Went through trans and am priming this evening. Going to get yo removing pass side rocker tomorrow and start working on the cab on same side.
You can make your own long block that works pretty good. This is what I used for my truck. Just a nice flat hardwood board with saw cuts to give a bit of flexibility. I made several with different saw cut patterns for more or less flexibility. Once the panel is straight with the 80 or 120 grit then you can use the smaller rubber blocks for the fine grit sanding.