The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Guitplayer, Jon G), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
I'm going cross-eyed searching for an answer.
I have a 1955 1st series 3100 235ci that I'm replacing the clutch in.
Now, I see that the flywheel is scorched and slightly cracked. It has 139 teeth.
The truck was converted to 12v and has the 6v starter.
The diaphram clutch I removed is 10.5".
I plan to convert to a T5.
I can't seem to find the clutch kit or the right flywheel.
Does anyone have some interchanges or supplier suggestions?
Thanks for the help.


DonBolt
1955.1 3100
235, 12v, 5-window, 5 speed
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Flywheels can be resurfaced if not severely cracked.
Flywheels with 139 teeth are made for 6 volt starters.
A 6 volt starter motor is a torque motor and operates by current and will work okay on 12 volts.

From Chevrolet Master Parts List (1929-1957):
Original clutch disc is 10 inch 3836119 for woven material.
Then in 1957 the 10 inch disc 3836097 for molded material
Pressure plate 3704776
Clutch cover with diaphragm springs 3836716
If I did this correctly, your FLAPS should be able to cross these GM part numbers over to what they sell.
If they don't know or cannot help, find a better supplier.

The diameter of a pressure plate is by design larger than the clutch disc.

I'm not much help on T5 at the moment.

Attached is a 1956 Service Bulletin which also includes trucks.
Maybe the pictures are helpful.
Attachments


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
Hey Buoymaker. Thank you for you thorough reply.
The question is how "severely cracked" my flywheel is?
I don't have much experience with them, but the cracks seem to be multiple hairline spiderweb pattern.
Here's a picture (I hope).

[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...umber/40871/filename/20220324_180549.jpg[/img]


DonBolt
1955.1 3100
235, 12v, 5-window, 5 speed
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,298
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Online: Content
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,298
Originally Posted by DonBolt
Hey Buoymaker. Thank you for you thorough reply.
The question is how "severely cracked" my flywheel is?
I don't have much experience with them, but the cracks seem to be multiple hairline spiderweb pattern.
Here's a picture (I hope).

[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...umber/40871/filename/20220324_180549.jpg[/img]

That flywheel is bad. Don't throw it away if the starter engagement teeth are good. That ring can be removed by simply applying heat to the ring which will cause it to expand and come right off. I would leave the ring on for now so that when it is ever needed, you will be able to tell what flywheel it is from.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
Yes, the ring gear is good, so I'll save it as you say, Carl.
What flywheel do I replace this bad one with?


DonBolt
1955.1 3100
235, 12v, 5-window, 5 speed
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
Still have a few more questions..?

Do I replace the 10.5" clutch in my 55e 3100 with a 10" if it worked well? (Is changing to a T5 a factor?)

If I need a new flywheel, do I buy a new 168 tooth one and swap for my 139 tooth ring gear? (Or do I buy a 168 tooth and replace the 6v starter?)

Thanks folks. Don


DonBolt
1955.1 3100
235, 12v, 5-window, 5 speed
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Reach out to our resident T-5 guru Lugnutz. He can answer all your questions.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Online: Content
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
I used an 11 inch flywheel that came from a totalled 1954 Corvette. We think the owner of the Vette may have used a truck or bus flywheel, but he was no longer around to tell his story after the wreck. I used an 11 inch pressure plate (common and easy to find) and the 11 inch clutch disc originally designed for a Chevy van that came with a T5. Those are not so easy to find. I didn't know it at the time, but you can use the input shaft for a Jeep T5 to get spline spacing that will offer more clutch disc options for you. As you've already heard, that flywheel isn't so good. It is possible it can be resurfaced and if you're driving normally (not racing nor spinning your engine at crazy rpms) it may work. Take it to a reliable machine shop and follow their advice. If it is too bad, they won't resurface it. No matter what, you will have to keep oil off of it to help keep it from burning again. Also...you will probably need the short throwout bearing with the T5. At least I did and I also had to make a new clutch connecting rod as the original one just didn't allow for enough adjustment. Image of old and new below. You can't buy a new flywheel (at least to my knowledge), but you can find used ones. Good luck!
Attachments
IMG_8523.JPG (129.72 KB, 110 downloads)
IMG_8516.JPG (112.53 KB, 110 downloads)


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Reach out to our resident T-5 guru Lugnutz. He can answer all your questions.

Except maybe I can’t. I’ve no experience swapping flywheels in these older trucks. A 10” clutch disc will work just fine with a 235 engine. I know the 1960-66 trucks had mostly 168 tooth flywheels but not all will accommodate an 11” clutch disc. I took this picture to help you see the differences at a glance. Both flywheels are 168 tooth.

If you have nothing better to do, come sort through the pile of flywheels at a local salvage yard 40 minutes west of Columbia, SC. Haha!
Attachments

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
West coast. It would be fortunate to find a good used one locally.
The only person I know on the west coast is (http://www.jjinlines.com).
He is a performance engine builder. He buys engines to rebuild and sells off parts that he doesn't need.
Also sells on ebay.

Be sure to check the clutch disc for evidence of heat damage due to oil leaks.
You want to remedy oil leaking on the clutch before buying new parts.
Valve cover and side cover but also 2 small expansion plugs on the back of the engine.
Sometimes coolant can leak from the backside at the casting opening seals.
Picture can be provided if needed.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
Buoymaker, 52Carl, JonG, BC59, Justhorsenround, and of course Lugnutz... thank you all.
I've used all your helpful feedback AND talked to a clutch shop that Lugnutz referred, who specializes in our old trucks.
All my parts are ordered and on the way.
I'll follow up next week after they arrive.
Thanks again. Donbolt


DonBolt
1955.1 3100
235, 12v, 5-window, 5 speed
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
Hi folks. After digesting the input and considering the alternatives, I got my 139 tooth stock 1955e 235 flywheel resurfaced locally.
It turned out great and all that can be seen are two very fine, very shallow hairline cracks.
I've been coached not to worry about those for normal (non-race) driving I will do.
Along with the resurfacing, I had the ring gear flipped.
It cost me $50.
Notice that 139 teeth are 4 per inch.

Don
Attachments
20220328_154215.jpg (249.2 KB, 67 downloads)
139 tooth
20220328_154319.jpg (167.46 KB, 67 downloads)
4 teeth per inch equals 139


DonBolt
1955.1 3100
235, 12v, 5-window, 5 speed
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
When you have everything bolted back in place, just for peace of mind, inspect the meshing of ring teeth and starter gear.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 105
Follow up:
I got my stock 1955.1 235ci 139 tooth flywheel resurfaced and the ring gear flipped at a local machine shop for $50 total.
It came out great with only 2 very fine hairline cracks.
I bought new 10.5" clutch, pressure plate (raised diaphragm), throw out bearing (short), and pilot bushing (not bearing).

Side note:
Of 3 rear main seals, I got the Best Gasket #4519s to work with engine in the truck.
The Best Gasket #6100 rope and the Fel-pro bs5048 rope both failed to work/tore apart with a Lisle Sneaky Pete and help turning the crankshaft.
Removing the clutch and flywheel and lowering the main caps helped along with a vigorous, practiced technique I'll share in another post.
BTW, Best Gasket tech line says not to use the 4519s on any trucks older than 1956, despite parts dealers' claims. It worked for me. Time will tell.


DonBolt
1955.1 3100
235, 12v, 5-window, 5 speed
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by DonBolt
BTW, Best Gasket tech line says not to use the 4519s on any trucks older than 1956, despite parts dealers' claims. It worked for me. Time will tell.

Such a rebel! Haha!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0