I'm looking for a '47-'52 Shop Manual (1949 3600 SM420 and 261) but with high print quality. There's lots and lots of good stuff, with clear diagrams and pics, online but often I like to flip through a good old fashioned print manual when I'm thinking about the next project. The problem is that the couple I've ordered have all come with a print quality that looks like a xerox of a xerox of a xerox and you can't make any sense of the pictures and diagrams. Pictures of the inside of the tranny are particularly muddled.
Anyone know if there's a good quality, print manual available and from whom?
This one should have what you're looking for. It should be a reprint of the original shop manual. I have a copy and the print quality is good.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I purchased the following Factory Assembly Manual (FAM) on eBay. Others, like Classicparts USA, Classic Industries, also offer it. (See attached photos) The first page includes this statement, “Reprinted with Permission of General Motors Corporation”. My “Shop Manual” is on a high shelf in the garage near my ‘57 3200 and I can’t reach it right now due to back surgery 4 weeks ago.
1957 Chevy 3200 Daily Driver PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights. Follow in the DITY
The problem I have seen with the reprints that cover a bunch of years is that a detail may have changed from one year to another, but the reprint only has one year data. Usually not a big deal, but it can sometimes lead you down the wrong path.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
The original GM Master Parts List has had many revisions over time. Parts are superseded. Illustration drawings are updated. Such is life. Sometimes I find the best information is usually in the older versions that includes the year of my truck. Rather than purchase a lot of versions, I just use http://www.gmpartswiki.com. This is helpful to track a part's history.
For example:
* go or click to the link * click on search * just for practice enter 5592626 (this is the early AC fuel pump 9803) * the search comes back with a listing of 5592626 found in different versions of catalog for many years. * when you find a year or catalog you like, click on the small page picture for more detail
Last edited by buoymaker; 03/17/20221:18 AM.
"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use." "I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Papa Disco A neighbor gave me an original shop manuel,kinda oily but good and clear,that one from Carters is the same (clear) just not quite as heavy. Watch the water pump repair photos they are reversed in both books. Tremendous info in there for the repairman !!