The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1444655 03/15/2022 2:47 AM
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
Have been reading for years but new guy. So if this should be posted somewhere else pleas move it.
So I have a 1970 C50 grain truck that blew its 350 engine. I have a 1978 454 big block I would like to put into this truck. I have removed the 350 and it had a bell housing that is stamped 3847709. It does not match my 454 engine. Does anyone know what bell housing I need to make this re-power happen? The 454 has fewer bolt holes and the pins are larger and in the block, instead of the bell housing.
Attachments
92C8CBB0-B80F-4ADA-B8C2-EC3EDD8FB600.jpeg (155.29 KB, 151 downloads)
B99EFFBA-9AA1-40A1-A468-33EB6ECFA3A9.jpeg (153.34 KB, 151 downloads)

Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
Ok. So I am half an idiot. Looking at the 350 block this morning I see that the bell housing is not attached to the block. There is an adapter in front of the flywheel. So at this point it looks like I can swap in the 454.
Attachments
BD6F1E91-1090-4CD2-BB92-FFF29FC6BE26.jpeg (184.99 KB, 140 downloads)

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Those gadgets are handy.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 24
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 24
Your adapter plate from the 350 will bolt to the 454 and will bolt to the bellhousing. Your front engine mount will require modification as the bolt holes in the 350 block are in different locations that those on the 454.
I did this same swap years ago.

Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
Thank you for the info on the front engine mount. I have not progressed to that yet. It turns out I am in need of a large 454 Flywheel. The 454 engine had a flex plate. Since the 454 flywheel is weighted I cannot use the 350 flywheel. Had a guy that said he had one, but it turned out to be for a 427, so not weighted. Have one more place to check today. He was “looking” for it yesterday. Any other tips on the swap? I am hoping it pulls a load of grain noticeably better than the 350.

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
I'm glad you figured it out cuz I was worried that my brain would explode, to my knowledge all of the Chevy V8's have the same bolt pattern, I've swapped big block to small block, old 6.2 diesel to newer 6.5 all with the same bolt pattern.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
I believe the purpose of that adapter is twofold- - -it converts the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern to the SAE pattern for medium and heavy duty transmissions, and also allows the use of a larger diameter flywheel and clutch assembly. If you're doing real truck stuff it's definitely an improvement.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 24
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 24
Farms, I ran into the same issue on mine several years ago. What I did was used my old flywheel from the 350 on the 454 - I ordered a counter balance plate.
I have used these many times in the past and never had any issues.
If you are not familiar with these, you can find them at many different aftermarket parts warehouses.
They run $20 - $40, depending on the one you need. Usually much more economic than purchasing a flywheel.
An example of one is here at summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ses-3-60-11-026?rrec=true (I am thinking this is the correct plate for your application).
Call them and tell them that you need one to use your 350 flywheel/flexplate on your 454 and they will give you the correct part number.

Last edited by LexAdmn; 03/17/2022 11:34 AM. Reason: added info
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
Lexadmn, thank you. That looks like what I will have to do. The 454 196 tooth flywheel is looking more like the Loch Ness. People say they have seen it, but cannot find it.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
LexAdmn Perfect explanation on 454 Have seen all that long ago,kinda forgot,need the room for a real clutch. farms you might watch out if you do anything with that 350 it may have tremendous end play in the crankshaft from that tough clutch. The nodular iron cranks would wear some times so much that counterweights would bump on the main webbing. Not so much on forged steel shaft.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
farms Better check end play on your 454,I never really thought about it but do you hold your clutch down when starting ?? A truck puller I know always starts his racer in neu. clutch out because of double disc race clutch. Oil has drained off of the thrust so my .02 cents worth !

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
If there's a salvage yard in your area that deals in big trucks, it's possible they would have the flywheel you need. or know where to source one. The larger diameter flywheel also allows a heavier duty clutch to be used, one that won't fit inside the standard size bell housing.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 8
Thanks everyone. I have checked all the salvage yards within 200 miles and just come up with a 427 flywheel. After checking compression on the 454 I am rebuilding it prior to installing. It goes to the machine shop next week. So for an extra $1000 or so I can make it a 496. Not sure I need that. Will have to decide soon though.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0