The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Tronman, Gray_Ghost), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 125
I posted this in the driveline area and thought I'd include it here as well since I've got a (mildly) big bolt. grin I'm considering replacing the rear end on my '49 1 ton dually with something else to increase the speed a bit and make finding brake parts a little easier. The problem is I don't know what else might fit. I want to maintain the dually and don't really intend to replace the original engine (216) or 4 speed transmission. I also want to keep the PTO for the hydraulics 'cause I think that's what help make my truck unique and special. cool Does anyone have any suggestions? I've come across some discussion on late '70s dually rear ends being a possible solution but I haven't found anything real helpful so far. What would be up and/or down sides of the various options - given that I don't have a real shop to work from and can't do much of my own "heavy" work? :confused:

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help.
Jim


Jim Blake
Help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org) through Team in Training (www.teamintraining.org). Help put a stop to ALL cancers.

My truck: '49 3800 Stakebed/Dump
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
If you have the eaton rear axle, the pumpkin is removeable and you can replace it with a pumpkin from a 3/4 ton up to 72.

The corp 14 bolt rear should work without too many problems. Measure the distance from springpad to springpad - then see if you can find a 14 bolt with that same dimension, it should bolt right up. You MUST get a dually rear if you want to bolt up the dual rear wheels from your truck. Dually axles are shorter than the single wheel axles. There are a number of different gearsets made for this axle, so you should be able to find what you want. If you really want to increase your top end, find an axle from a diesel rig - these had 3.73, 3.43 gears.

It is also possible that a dana 60 or 70 rear may fit in your truck (other makes have them too, so check under those trucks)- just make sure that the spring pad width is the same.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
If you can't find an axle with the right spring pad spacing or you find one you like but the spring pads are the wrong distance apart,it's not too hard to cut or grind off the old pads and weld new ones on to match your springs. Most of the racing parts suppliers have 'em for fairly cheap or you can make them from steel channel,the width of your springs. Keep in mind you might have to modify your drive line length,and/or change your pinion yoke to match your driveline. (or use a conversion u-joint) any driveline should be able to help you with that.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0