I will be inheriting a war production era '42 1-1/2 ton flatbed. It has been fully restored over the years, runs and drives well. I'm trying to better understand it's origin. VIN is BG765207. I've thus far been unsuccessful decoding it. Would someone be able to help?
BG is a 1942-46 235 engine serial number prefix code, it was made in the Flint Engine Plant and was available as an option for the 1-ton and larger trucks only.
What's the serial number on the cab?
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
Okay.... an update. Or at least trying to understand the build history of this truck... On the cowl tag, it says Model: MASTER, and weight capacity "with governor" @ 13,500lbs. Yet I'm finding only references to "MASTER" being car models, and having "Bx" series prefixes, not the heavy duty trucks, which appear to have "Mx" series prefixes. And Oregon's "Assigned Identification Number" is BG765207.
Any assistance with this history mystery would be greatly appreciated.
I verified the block casting number as 83993, which supports the 235 C.I.D. My father-on-law thought for sure it was a 216. As for the chassis # breakdown, I'm a bit confused over the OS = 1946, as the truck is titled as a 1942. Ah...but it just occurred to me that we think production on this truck began right before the war, then was finished after the war.... kinda makes sense. Or does it?
Okay.... replying to my previous reply... I'm now thinking that the DMV mis-identified the truck as a 1942 (based on the engine SN) when it really appears to be a 1946 (given the chassis number), that received the engine [that came off the line right before the war started]. Does this seem the mostly likely situation?
I'm a bit confused over the OS = 1946, as the truck is titled as a 1942. Ah...but it just occurred to me that we think production on this truck began right before the war, then was finished after the war.... kinda makes sense. Or does it?
I'll get up to speed yet. Or not.
Michael
Yes
What you have is what they called Interim Trucks Models. They are not post-war models. So the DMV registered it as a 1942.
This is from the 1949 Red Book. Right Click on the pictures and Open link in New Tab
Hello , I have be trying to figure my truck out also Ven # BG693640 . I was told it is a 45 1.5 ton flatbed has a 216 in it. owned it for 5 years put it in my barn. I am not sure what Iam into here, hopefully not over my head. about to start working on it. runs great, no body rust was in a building form 1973 till 2013. fighting the tire issue first. Wheels in good shape and lucky to have a shop 2 miles away that will work on the ringed wheels. Tries on it today are the 17.50-20 hard as rock. The tire shop says they might be able to smash a 18.25-20 on it thinking of ordering one for a test. also a bubby told me about a shop in Dallas that has wheels of all sizes with no centers and the will build center to your specs or cut out yours, working on that next week, would really like one fat tire no more dual.
Can anyone tell me what this serial # can tell me ? 9MS39 19529 Ven# BG693640 loking at post above my last two digits 39 can be the month made on this . any help greatly appreciated.
Ozark45, you really should start your own thread when asking a new questions and not piggy back on someone else's thread. This will allow you to find your info at a later date and it keeps things more orderly here on the Bolt.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
MDReed More info on your truck. Chassis serial number 200S10 1314 breaks down as follows... 20 = Van Nuys Assembly Plant OS = 1946 first series 1-1/2 ton with 160" wheelbase 10 = Month (October) 1314 = Unit number starting with 1001 From Mike B
Your truck was built at the Van Nuys plant in October of 1948 The Van Nuys Assembly Plant open on December 1, 1947 So you have a “42” model built in 48.
As for the cowl tag, the only references I found to "MASTER" being a truck model is in the 1938 and 1939 data book. But below is a 1942 1-1/5 ton with 160” WB pre-war tag with MASTER printed on it. 9MS42 x237x hard to read. The 42 in the month position represent the 42 month (June of 1944) of the 1942 model production year. All civilian production of cars and trucks ended in June 1942. .
JimGMC, to try and keep things straight, lets only talk about MDReed's (OP) truck in this thread. If Ozark45 has a question he needs to start a new thread...it gets confusing when two different questions are answered in the same post.
Originally Posted by jimgmc
MDReed More info on your truck. Chassis serial number 200S10 1314 breaks down as follows... 20 = Van Nuys Assembly Plant OS = 1946 first series 1-1/2 ton with 160" wheelbase 10 = Month (October) 1314 = Unit number starting with 1001 From Mike B
Your truck was built at the Van Nuys plant in October of 1948 The Van Nuys Assembly Plant open on December 1, 1947 So you have a “42” model built in 48.
As for the cowl tag, the only references I found to "MASTER" being a truck model is in the 1938 and 1939 data book. But below is a 1942 1-1/5 ton with 160” WB pre-war tag with MASTER printed on it. 9MS42 x237x hard to read. The 42 in the month position could be the week number of the model production year. All civilian production of cars and trucks ended in June 1942. .
Per the GM Heritage Center the Van Nuys plant is listed in the 1946 Truck Specifications. Can you share where you found that it opened on Dec 1, 1947. I find it hard to believe Van Nuys made a Model "OS" (1946 first series 1-1/2 ton truck) in 1948 after the AD's had been introduced...
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
Per the GM Heritage Center the Van Nuys plant is listed in the 1946 Truck Specifications. Can you share where you found that it opened on Dec 1, 1947. I find it hard to believe Van Nuys made a Model "OS" (1946 first series 1-1/2 ton truck) in 1948 after the AD's had been introduced...
In MDReed third post he ask about the MASTER on the cowl tag. I found a tag like his truck, (42) 1-1/5 ton, 160” WB with MASTER on it to show him. I thought he would ask about the 42. And that is just a guess. I was not thinking about Ozark45 post.