Picked my motor yesterday and spent today trying to clean it up. Now I’d like to ID it to know what I have. It’s supposed to be a 235. I went to Deve’s website (devestechnet.com) looking for serial #’s but none there. I *was* able to learn that the head casting # indicates that it is a 1954-1955 235 head. Just don’t know about the block because there apparently isn’t a block casting number, or at least I can’t find one. Help with the serial # would really be appreciated. Pics attached. Thanks
Serial # OI95I95F55X (EYEs not ones)
Head casting # 3835913
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Thanks BC, tclederman, and Mike B. Now I know what I have.
I believe only the ‘53—‘54 models had the high water pump, correct? ‘55 and newer would have to have them relocated to use in the ‘47—‘54 trucks, correct. If mine is a ‘55 and the water pump is high on it then it was relocated, correct?
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
A 1955 first series was basically a 1954 truck with open driveline. It used the high mount water pump. The 1955 second series truck was a completely redesigned truck, with the new lower, longer water pump. In passenger cars the low mount water pump started at the beginning of 1955.