The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guitplayer, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Gdads51), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 66
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 66
My fuel pump on my 235 had been seeping oil for a good while so this winter I put it on the project list.
Pulling the old one off showed quite the wear scallop from the cam (the cam face is OK).
First I tried to buy a replacement pump, after contacting 4-5 of the typical suppliers, various catalogs, web searches, local FLAPS, etc. I threw in the towel, no one had them in stock and didn’t know how long they would be out. I just couldn’t come up with one. I have the vac wipers, aren’t converting to electric so I wanted the same pump. FWIW the Carter number of the pump is M73005.
I was able buy a rebuild kit so that is the new plan.
But what to do about the wear pad? Figuring GM must have used this same pad on other pumps, I searched “Chevrolet fuel pump” on Amazon and looked thru the images until I spotted a candidate to cannibalize the wear pad.
On eBay I ordered an Airtex 40446, the wear pad was an exact match.
It was straightforward to drill out the rivet on each and pop rivet on the donor pad.
Maybe this info will help another Bolter down the road.
Attachments
51EF1C92-53EE-46C0-B405-016E4319D472.jpeg (177.27 KB, 154 downloads)
F799059D-FC4A-4C81-BE50-FFD4DA7E1940.jpeg (126.19 KB, 153 downloads)
24445297-6C4F-4CDF-B5FF-8805AE0362EF.jpeg (209.98 KB, 153 downloads)
46BC071B-AD27-487B-BB02-3BEC042DF06B.jpeg (139.41 KB, 147 downloads)
9FFDAF27-FDF0-4CD2-A731-9D295EAF7DDD.jpeg (104.16 KB, 143 downloads)

Last edited by Moonlight; 01/29/2022 4:09 AM.

'59 Apache
‘21 Beta 390RS
‘18 BMW R1200RT
'12 Ford Flex
'13 Aprilia Tuono
‘11 Ducati Hypermotard
Salisbury, MD
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Amazed it didn't hurt the cam.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
I've never seen a fuel pump in my life with an arm worn out so badly. That's amazing.

What sort of pop rivet do you use. I'd be afraid that it wouldn't last and the pad would fall off.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 66
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 66
I work in the aerospace industry so I was able to pick up a little better grade rivet than the typical retail product. It’s still aluminum based, steel would be better, but I’m rolling with it.
I thought about tapping the hole and a screw with Loctite, but feel more confident with the rivet.


'59 Apache
‘21 Beta 390RS
‘18 BMW R1200RT
'12 Ford Flex
'13 Aprilia Tuono
‘11 Ducati Hypermotard
Salisbury, MD
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,315
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,315
I would go with a steel rivet .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Moonlight Think I'd Mig that in place.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0