I was looking at the special tool for removing the stick shift on the Muncie 420. At first I thought you had to push the base of the shifter and turn the stamped steel piece counter-clockwise, but after reading some posts I saw it’s that stamped steel piece that gets pushed down and rotated. So I made a low tech tool that would clear the stick and have the correct size to make contact with that piece. I made one out of 1 1/2” plastic pipe. Easily removed the shifter!
A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton
The plastic pipe did not work for the installation. I don’t think I could press down hard enough with it. So I tried a few options, but just a simple piece of 1 1/2” pipe worked. This one was seamless tubing, but I think any metal pipe will do.
A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton
I've removed and replaced bunches of them with pair of Channellock pliers. There's just enough of a ridge around the top of the collar to get a grip on it, push down and twist. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Hotrod and BC59, I must not have the skills. I tried both of those, but I was also being maybe a little too fussy and didn't want to damage the piece. Although, I must say with the pipe it was really easy. It was so easy I didn't notice at first that it seated. So there are lots of options.
Last edited by Super55; 01/26/20224:34 AM.
A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton
A couple of handles welded on each side of that piece of pipe would make it pretty close to the factory service tool. Would make it easier to use for reassembly.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Klhansen, That would have been my next step, but it was not necessary.
A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton
I took a 2x4 about 3 feet long and drilled 1" hole thru the middle. Put the 2x4 ,using hole, over the shift stick and put one end under the brake pedal. Pushed down on other end and rotated the collar off.
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
I can simply use my hand, pressing down on the cap and then rotate it. Maybe the spring is too weak? or me way toooo strong - LOL. Otherwise a pair of large channel locks opened up and layed down on it's side on top of the cap.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.