The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Woodcmiami), 86 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1438072 01/20/2022 11:32 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 16
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 16
Uncertain about type of rims
Attachments
DB8CA4B6-6DD5-4FAC-B5D9-610098623594.jpeg (212.03 KB, 209 downloads)
E9FBC801-3AF5-4E62-9119-B61B04B59452.jpeg (266.34 KB, 201 downloads)


Brad1950 4400
MH50 #1438076 01/21/2022 12:05 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy MH50, those wheels are multi-piece Kelsey style wheels, they are not the Firestone RH5 widow makers, but be careful working with them just the same!

MH50 #1438078 01/21/2022 12:19 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 16
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 16
Thanks 3B


Brad1950 4400
MH50 #1438331 01/22/2022 11:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
MH50 Those look pretty clean,sometimes can be rusted bad on the inside. I usually don't sandblast because it gets rid of too much,a needle scaler then use por 15 rust absorbing paint sometimes works well. scalers are reasonable on internet and good for any rust removal on wheels and frames. Made to de-slag welds while hot.

MH50 #1438434 01/23/2022 5:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 477
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 477
I had a set of wheels that were quite rusty inside, I chiseled the rust off them, wire wheeled them, painted them with Jasco and then primed them inside. When I picked them up after the new tires were mounted they said they put 90 PSI in them. I backed them down to 40 PSI. That was several years ago. They drive smoother and I felt safer. Not doing a lot of heavy towing or any towing!

MH50 #1438455 01/23/2022 7:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
Using less than half the recommended tire pressure in a multi-piece wheel is deadly dangerous. The wheel needs a certain minimum pressure to keep the pieces from separating in case you scrub a tire on a curb or hit a pothole during a turn.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 16
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 16
Fixate 7 took a wire wheel and lightly cleaned surface rust, there is some pitting.
My plan is to take wheel to local shop have them take apart and I’ll clean inside and prime. Chris’s 46/ 515 I’ll research Jasco paint.

Thanks again for all the great advise.

Brad


Brad1950 4400
MH50 #1438649 01/25/2022 12:50 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
MH50 Listen to 3B Your wheels (3 Piece) are safer than widow makers but don't trust them,use your clip-on air chuck to pump them up. Can also tie with a log chain or use tire cage,are old so be careful !!

MH50 #1438651 01/25/2022 1:00 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
MH50 On that paint,havn't heard of it but probably be fine. I used por 15 on a set of split rims 20 yrs. ago still fine but have been indoors that whole time. I needle scaled them till they were not shedding much 2 coats of por 15,had em put the tires on they aired-up to 45 lbs.Here we have sharp soy bean stubble after harvest that can hurt tires,have learned to pump em up kinda tight to combat that .

MH50 #1438753 01/25/2022 8:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 477
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 477
The Jasco is a brand name , I've heard of it being called Iso or the por 15. It has the consistency of water but soaks into the some what rusted metal and dries hard. Don't breath it or get it on your fingers. When I was soaking my cab down with it (in a pump sprayer) some dripped on the floor with rust in it and I had to use a hammer and chisel to get it off! When I first put my COE on the road I had two of the tires and rims on it that had been sitting and rusting on it outside for around 20 years. They had big cracks on the tires and the rust on the outside of the rims made it apparent they were done. I put 20 PSI in them and drove it for years, then finally got some used rims and tires from a fellow bolter (Tango) May he rest in peace.

Last edited by Chris's 46 / 515; 01/26/2022 3:18 PM.
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Chris 46/515 Bet those tires said nylon on them,they can look pretty bad and still OK for local work at low speeds. Those nylons will also set-up worse in cold weather then hump some when you start out. Seems to me that tires just last better in service,being run every day helps them stay in shape.

MH50 #1443901 03/08/2022 3:23 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 477
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 477
Yeah fixite7: I live in Florida and when the truck sets a week in 40 degree nights it's very lumpy until the tries warm up. Also I just looked at my owners manual and the factory says 40 PSI in the front and 55 PSI in the back. I just run 40 all the way around, I have no idea why my tire guy put 90 PSI in them. Kind of scary!

Last edited by Chris's 46 / 515; 03/08/2022 3:27 PM.
MH50 #1444712 03/15/2022 9:53 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
Years ago I dropped my tires off at Les Schwab. They worked on them for a long time before they got two of them apart. They were rusted beyond repair. I searched for another set, but without success. I finally decided to have one piece wheels made. I had to search around, but Stockton Wheels in California made me a full set of 7.


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0