Hi Folks , I wish everyone here a a happy , healthy and prosperous New Year . Well when you get a little older and a bit chubby it's hard to climb up and into the engine bay on a big bolt . So I decided to make the front fenders and grill flip forward . After a bit of cutting and welding . It works . You will have to take a look to see if this would work on a pickup also . Some points Where I cut the fenders is good but it needs a 1" sheet metal lip welded onto the under side of the back portion of the fender , the full length of the cut instead of the 2 steel tabs you see in the pic . Not in pics I cut the radiator support just below the 2 bolts on each side that go to the grill support . Where the headlight wires come out on each side have to be moved up so when you raise and lower the clip they won't get snagged on the radiator support . The wiring clips have to be removed also . I had to trim the lower lip off the bottom of the inner fender . And the rear part of the inner fender that has the 3 holes that mount to firewall has been cut from inner fender and will be mounted separate from the rest of the inner fender . I also had to to trim a bit more ( about an 1' ) of the inner fender up where it meets the fender and firewall , it was catching and wouldn't let the clip flip forward . I'm just going to use a trailer plug to disconnect the lighting wiring harness , when I flip it forward .
Last edited by PAUL NOLZ; 01/14/20223:54 AM.
1948 Chevy 2 ton flatbed ex fire truck , and various motorcycles .
That approach is probably much better than welding the hood to the fenders and making the whole front clip pivot. I'm wondering about long term stability- - - - -will the sheet metal get sloppy when it gets a few miles on it because the cowl to radiator support braces won't have as much rigidity as there once was? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Hi , Hotrod Lincoln I agree with you but your post made think about the fact in 1948 most roads were in far worse shape than now . So all the extra bracing now really isn't necessary . Also it's possible without to much trouble to run a brace from the engine side on the radiator support to the frame if needed . For now the the rubber pad under the radiator support has been removed and it's bolted solid to the frame . Where as the the front clip now rest on the hinges . With the hood bolted to the fire wall is nice if I have to take the front clip all the way off , I can just pull the hood if it rains .
Last edited by PAUL NOLZ; 01/15/20221:42 PM.
1948 Chevy 2 ton flatbed ex fire truck , and various motorcycles .