The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wally / Montana, Guitplayer, Jon G), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
Hello,
New to me, GMC, 1952, either a three quarter or one ton, (I think). In pieces, some things I'm not sure how to measure.
The VIN is 15222P8527. I have a title which says one ton, vehicle body FB. But the former owner says it's a three quarter ton.
This truck is not remotely complete, which is fine for me, I can start the project I want with it. What do I compare on the frame
versus the title, to see if I have a three quarter or one ton GMC frame, or perhaps parts were mixed long ago before he had it?
Thanks for any help that anyone can offer me! Thank you guys! Mike.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Blank = manual transmission
15 = 3/4 ton
2 = 125.25" wheelbase
22 = 228 I-6 engine
P = Pontiac plant
* 8527 = sequential serial number

* check this number again
range for 1952 3/4 ton is 9351 to 15036 for Pontiac plant
range for 1951 3/4 ton is 1001 to 9350 for Pontiac plant

The VIN tag has to agree with the state title in order to be registered (in my state) regardless of which frame it is on.
Each state has it's own rules. Check with your DMV.

Last edited by buoymaker; 01/12/2022 4:20 AM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 43
Thank you! The rear end is out of it, but the spring leaves are in place. I should be able to get a useful approx. measurement
to distinguish a 3/4 from a one ton, right? Wheel center to wheel center, 125 vs. 135 or 136? Thanks again!

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Did you get the point about the serial number? Do you have a 1951 or 1952?

A GMC shop manual for your year truck would be most helpful to you. I only have Chevrolet.
I could only find a GMC manual for years 1955-59.
Frame section 11
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/gmc/5559mm/5559mm444.html

Search Stovebolt for more information. I found this:
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1164305/1.html


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0