| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
206
guests, and
5
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,441 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2021 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2021 Posts: 18 | I have a 55.1 and I took the shift box apart to clean it out and repack it with grease. I was not diligent as I took it apart to ensure I would know how to get it back together. I understand how the shift box works but the spring has me confused. One end has a hook and I see that grabs the tab that is permanently affixed to the lower control shaft. The other side is just a straight section of the spring wire. Is this spring supposed to be preloaded in torsion when the box goes back together? Tomctomc had included a photo in another post wherein I can see my spring is like his http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/tomctomc/shiftboxshaft.jpg
M. Hayden
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | That spring installation is like a Chinese puzzle. All I can say about it is that yes, the spring is put under compression as you drop the guts back in. Hope that I am not being too technical. 
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2021 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2021 Posts: 18 | I played with it some today without all the grease. Seems to me the spring gets compressed linearly, but it also seems to want to be twisted about half a turn so the long end gets set into the housing and doesn’t untwist when it all goes back together. The shop manual is nearly worthless on this other than to highlight that there’s a spring in there. Thanks
M. Hayden
| | |
| |
| |