The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, Cletus1950, Wayne67vert), 198 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1434364 12/22/2021 12:31 PM
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
I need to instal a second coolant temp sensor in the head. The new sensor is 3/8” NPT. My searching leads me to believe the mechanical sensor port on my 235 head is 5/8” straight thread. I’ve seen the available adapters to use that port. But that would leave me without a functional temp gauge.

Where in the head is there enough meat to drill and tap a new port?
I’d go to the T-stat housing but that’s not recommended in the efi instal directions.
Is there a mechanical gauge with an extra long thermocouple to reach the T-stat, that could be an option with Langdons housing.

Thanks


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
Have you thought about a T in the existing port so you could run two sensors?

What EFI are you installing? I’m very much interested in EFI for my 58, 235 and would like to follow along with your install.


Dan

35 CC Case
38 Chevy Pickup
51 3100 AD
58 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by D B Cooper
Have you thought about a T in the existing port so you could run two sensors?

What EFI are you installing? I’m very much interested in EFI for my 58, 235 and would like to follow along with your install.

I have, I don’t think there will be enough space with the 2 sensor bulbs in a T configuration.
I’m looking at a Holley Sniper. They have a 1.45” bore 1 barrel set up.


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
I was doing some planning for the Holley Sniper and thought I came up with a T that would work. That was a year or so ago and my memory is not the greatest anymore but luckily I saved everything I accumulated in a box. I’ll check later today and see if its there.

Is your space constraint due to air cleaner or other interference?

The biggest hurdle for me was going to be the intake stud spacing vs the Holley base boss mismatch. Do you have a solution for that?


Dan

35 CC Case
38 Chevy Pickup
51 3100 AD
58 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by D B Cooper
I was doing some planning for the Holley Sniper and thought I came up with a T that would work. That was a year or so ago and my memory is not the greatest anymore but luckily I saved everything I accumulated in a box. I’ll check later today and see if its there.

Is your space constraint due to air cleaner or other interference?

The biggest hurdle for me was going to be the intake stud spacing vs the Holley base boss mismatch. Do you have a solution for that?

I don’t have any space concerns.
I saw the base pattern issue. I’ve got some ideas but wont have a solution until I have parts in hand.


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
Tee fittings will give a false (low) reading, since the sensor will be out of the flow of coolant and the extension of the fitting will act like an insulator. The driver's side rear area of the head beside the valve cover flange should have enough thickness to drill and tap for a 3/8" NPT thread. Use pipe dope or brush-on gasket sealer on the sensor threads.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Tee fittings will give a false (low) reading, since the sensor will be out of the flow of coolant and the extension of the fitting will act like an insulator. The driver's side rear area of the head beside the valve cover flange should have enough thickness to drill and tap for a 3/8" NPT thread. Use pipe dope or brush-on gasket sealer on the sensor threads.
Jerry

Thanks!


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Just relaying some information from a web search:

Land Rover Defender with Chevy 250 swap convert to Sniper. Notice the machined adapter.
https://www.defendersource.com/threads/holley-sniper-efi-autolite-1100-gold.165323/

A very long video of an installation on a Ford 6. Some decent heads-up info to watch for.
https://fordsix.com/threads/youtube...all-initial-setup-and-first-start.81748/

Comments:
In common to all kits, the "gotcha" is induced noise (from coil, alternator, starter motor etc.) into the wiring harness and voltage spikes.
Noise can cause out-of-the-blue weird events with engine performance so plan your wiring routing with this in mind.
Voltage spikes (bad battery connection etc.) can turn the "brain box" into useless parts.
Attachments
Sniper Mounting.jpg (58.32 KB, 80 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
Thanks!


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
AwDang,

Please keep us posted on your progress.


Dan

35 CC Case
38 Chevy Pickup
51 3100 AD
58 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by D B Cooper
AwDang,

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Will do, but it’ll be awhile. I’m shooting for summer to add the efi.


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
The GMC engines of the same period used a similar, but different Thermostat housing where the temp sender was on the driver side. It will bolt right up to the Chevy head. I got one on Ebay years ago and haven't used it. I was going to use it for coolant heating to a Edmunds intake, but I went a different route. Check Ebay and you may find one.

GMC Thermostat housing

Found one.

Last edited by ApacheFiend; 12/24/2021 7:15 AM. Reason: added link

58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0