The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Ponchogl), 224 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
Hey...

Do any of you have an issue with your heater motor getting wet and rusting/seizing up? This seems to be happening on my 1965 Chevy dump truck that spends it's life outside. I replaced the motor twice with the same results. The only thing I notice is the replacement motors have a quarter sized hole on the motor housing I assume for venting. I block the hole up like I always have but it still seems to get water inside because the motor is seized and there is evidence of rust inside as you look inside the hole.

Here are my thoughts:
- I just replaced the motor with an older (I assume stock) motor that does not have a hole in the motor housing making me think the hole should not be there.
- There is a hole in the blower housing. Maybe I had the motor clocked wrong and covered the hole meant to let any water out?
- Maybe because the motor hangs upside down in this year truck rather than on it's side like others, you either need a blower motor without the hole -or- I should expect these replacement blower motors to fail because they were really designed to be mounted on their side.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
...Russ


1960 Chevy Apache (C10)
1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck
1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
You are talking about the fan motor I presume. It installs upwards in our trucks. Your experience with seized motors is a first I have heard of. Are you sure your heater core is not leaking? But this does not make sense either since the motor shaft is sealed.
I will be interested in the responses also.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
Hi... Yes the fan motor... I do not think the heater core is leaking because I do not see the tell-tale sign of green. I also looked for any rust holes allowing rain in, but found none.


1960 Chevy Apache (C10)
1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck
1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
I believe those motors with the hole in the housing are also supposed to have a rubber vent tube with a grommet-style groove installed in the hole. The ones I've seen with the vent wrap around the motor housing so the bottom of the vent tune points down.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Is that vent tube hole actually a drain? Is it possible the motor is creating condensation from heating up and cooling off which is then sitting in the motor?

I’m totally guessing here...

Last edited by Fox; 12/06/2021 5:11 AM.

1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
Hey Jerry and Fox...

The replacement motors come with a plug now to cover the hole. I have used a home made plug in the past, but it just seems the quality of these motors might be the issue now. I believe they probably do well on there side (horizontal) but not so well when used upside down (vertically).

I do remember seeing a rubber vent tube in the past (I have had these years trucks for over 30 years), but haven't in a while. I wonder if that would vent and also help prevent water from seeping in???

One more comment to Hambone... Another reason I know the heater core is not leaking is the fact the defroster works as expected. Usually if the heater core is leaking, it will fog up the windshield when the defroster is on.

On a side note, the replacement "original" blower motor I found seems to be working for now, but it is making noises (age?) and I expect the need to replace it so I bought another new blower motor which came with the plug, so the mystery will continue... I guess I am getting tire of replacing the motor every year or every other year at the start of fall when you tend to need the defroster.


1960 Chevy Apache (C10)
1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck
1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
A small bead of RTV sealer around the plug might be a good idea, to be sure any rain or condensation can't get into the motor windings.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0