So I've acquired my grandfathers 1953 pickup. I believe it is a 1 ton, it has a 9ft. bed and the load rating on the driverside door post says 8800lbs. The motor is in unknown condition, supposedly drove into to the shed under its own power where its been parked for at least the last 35 - 40 years. There's 92,000 on the odometer. I'm sure it lived a hard life being a farm truck pulling heavy silage wagons and who knows what else. So the question is, is it worth putting any work at all into this motor? I've seen a fair amount of info about people putting a later model engine in these pickups for a little better reliability. The goal is mainly to get the pickup running decent and maybe do a little light work with it just for fun. My grandpa would also be tickled to see it run and drive again!! The casting number on the passenger side of the block is 3835849 so according to my research that makes it the 216 I believe.. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Coleunruh; 12/02/20214:11 AM. Reason: Added info
Congratulations on your acquisition. I like the look and practicality of a 9 foot bed. If that is the original engine, it has Babbitt rod bearings making it more expensive to rebuild. That being said l would prefer having an original engine. If you can replace it for less cost than a rebuild then I'd do it but I'd keep the original on a shelf. What is the number stamped on the ledge to the left of the distributor?
That code leaves me totally lost, perhaps someone else can decipher it. I believe you are correct and it is a 1953 or older 218. I would try to get it running. My 53 3600 had sat since 85 and runs great. You may get lucky too. With 4 feet of rubber hose you can bypass the tank and draw your gas from a can in the bed while cleaning or replacing the gas tank. My tank was filled with about a gallon of rust and shellac.
Well thanks for the info guys! Maybe I'll try and fire it up and see how it runs. I'll have to get a new valve cover gasket, I couldn't resist taking a look and when I took the it off of course the original crumbled to pieces! Yes I'll definitely bypass the original tank for now, looks pretty crusty in there.
Coleunruh Would give that 216 a chance it may be good,one came to me stuck in 82,soaked it limbered it up still is fine today. If the shaft is round you can adjust the shims-just do one at a time-and you will have a durable engine. Most of those got ruined when they rodded it too hard in mud holes,once you damage the dippers and pan it's tuffer to fix hard to find parts today !!