The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Chris's 46 / 515, 2-Ton), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
Would anyone know if there was a P&G valve gapper model for use on the 235/261 and if there was, what that model was?


Mike
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
The P&G gapper we had around the shop in the mid-1950's was a universal unit with adapters for different engines. Is there any reason the same thing can't be accomplished with a flex-mount dial indicator, other than the nostalgia effect?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
Nostalgia. I love old American made specialty automotive tools


Mike
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
Nostalgia is great- - - -I love the challenge of scrape-fittimg Babbit rod bearings and setting oil clearance with shims, but somewhere along the line the advantage of boring those rods for insert bearings and grinding the crankshaft to fit should also be considered. Hand cranks for starting the engine and acetyline generators to run the headlights are nostalgic, too!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Our P&G valve gapper was universal with attachments for different engines. It took into account rocker/shaft wear and was so accurate one was supposed to wipe the oil film off of mating surfaces. It also was so slow and tedious it ended up sitting in a drawer.


Evan
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I had one for years. I sold it to a fellow Stovebolter recently. I haven't used it for many years.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
There are several of them on Ebay today- - - - -with prices ranging from dirt cheap to ridiculous!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
I’m not sure how that device is supposed to work. Looks interesting. I bought an old SnapOn valve adjusting tool a few years ago. I think I paid $15 or $20. It really does make the task much easier. I bought it on a whim, not knowing….but I’d do it again.


1951 3100
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
So what I know about the the P&G is that it came in a few different models and even the universal models were not really universal. There are a few of them on ebay. The problem is that they have not been made for many years now. Frankly, they were probably just a little bit before my time. I dont want to guess and just purchase one that will not be what I want. So my question remains, whether anyone remembers exactly which model, or adapter was specified for a 235 or 261 chevy?

I came across this same issue with my Sun Distributor Machine when a friend had a catalogue and we found the part number for the 235/261 chevy adapter so you could check the distributor with vacuum advance. Would like to do the same with the P&G if possible.

Last edited by Dragsix; 11/29/2021 10:30 PM.

Mike
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
As I remember the one that was around our shop in the 1950's, it clipped onto the top if the valve spring, with a dial indicator that contacted the top of the rocker arm. Supposedly, it could be used on a running engine, but every time Dad tried to use it that way the dial indicator pointer would rotate around the dial at random due to the pointer slipping on the shaft. It could be used on a stopped engine by going through the same process of finding top dead center that was used for a feeler gauge. The only difference was that the feeler gauge was quicker, and more reliable. In my opinion, from seeing one actually in use in a top quality professional shop, the thing was a gimmick designed to separate a gullible mechanic from a big chunk of his money! If you manage to find the unicorn you're seeking, you'll probably love it!
A machinist with a modicum of common sense should be able to take the basic unit that's for sale on Ebay for $25.00 and adapt it to a specific valve train with a little bit of tinkering. The one that's priced at $200.00 has bunches of adapters, plus the thing that's really needed- - - - -a feeler gauge!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
I saw that one. Too much for me.


Mike
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
I think I'm going to buy that cheap one, just to say I've got it, and make it fit a stovebolt engine.
Jerry

Edit- - - -just bought the Detroit Diesel P&G valve gapper for $53.00.


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Mine had adapters for practically all o-head valve engines in the 50,s. It uses a different adapter for the ex.-& intake on the Stovebolt engines.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I remember them being around and hardly ever used. I think my old Sioux valve grinder with a rocker arm dressing attachment did more for having valves adjusted correctly than anything. I used to buy up old stuff just for nostalgia, but I am now 78 years old and I see it is time to quit buying stuff that I will never use.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
Good point- - - - -I've got an "in the frame" crankshaft grinder stashed away somewhere that I never even unboxed after buying it in an Ebay auction. I had ideas of using it along with a retired lathe to make a Rube Goldberg crank grinder. Then I bought TWO Storm-Vulcan crank grinders, also on Ebay!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
I dont think I have ever seen an in frame crank grinder!


Mike
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
How old are you? They were going out of style in the mid-1950's when I started hanging out in the shop at age 10. On the old inlines with lots of room under the engine, a small high speed grinder with a brass hook on it could be hung over the rod journal, and it would follow the crank around as a slow speed electric motor turned one rear wheel with the transmission in high gear.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
Well that explains it, lol. I was not even born when they were going out of style!


Mike
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,832
On a Chevy 216, most (or maybe all) of the connecting rods could be changed from the bottom without removing the cylinder head by pulling the piston down far enough in the cylinder to expose the wrist pin. It was not uncommon to find one or more undersize rods in an otherwise standard dimension engine after a damaged crank journal was reground in the block.

A pretty well-built wrench jockey could also muscle a portable boring bar like my Van Norman 944S over a fender and bore one scored cylinder oversize if it got damaged by a broken piston ring. Used car lots were bad about doing stuff like that- - - -"Just patch it up enough to sell!"
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Originally Posted by Dragsix
I dont think I have ever seen an in frame crank grinder!
Here you go. An interesting item. Video Link


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0