I have seen a lot of discussions and how to information on creating your own white walls by painting the tires. Has anyone done it? I am sure they look good at first but my question is how well did they hold up? Did they fade or yellow? I am a believer in Bleach White tire cleaner also. Do you know if it will work on painted tires? any experience you have had doing this would be good information.
Back when I was a kid I would paint white walls on my stingray bike. Used to buy the white wall paint at Western Auto. I didn't think they even made that stuff anymore. Too many years and beers ago to remember how well it held up.
Brian 1955.2 3100 Truck The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
In the 70s I used white wall paint from JC Whitney. It lasted about a year before it started to yellow and flake. Back then I drove the vehicle in all weather, so maybe it would last longer if only driven on nice days.
I did paint the whitewalls on my 1937 Ford back in 1967 and they would look good and then start to yellow and I would apply a second coat. Eventually there was enough paint on the tire that I washed the whitewalls with Westley's Bleach-White. All of that being said remember it was 1967 and the composition of the tire and paint were compatible, who knows if would work today given you were able to find the paint.