The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (3800rao, IHPWR, Lightholder's Dad, Leo, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 84 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,344
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
I've acquired a couple late 70s/early 80s GM HEI distributors for my 235 engines. Both have 0.125" shaft endplay, which seems a bit excessive. However, GM must have engineered this for a reason. Will this end play have any affect on engine timing?

I see that distributor shim kits are available. What is a reasonable amount of distributor shaft end play?

Thanks,


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Don't know about others, and I expect you might get some varying answers on this. On some forums I participate in, this topic can draw some interesting responses. Personally I'd say .125" is too much by a good whack. I'd go for .010" and leave it at that. I've read timing can change 1 degree for every .012" of end play, so if what I've been led to believe, you're talking about allowing no more than 1 degree with .010". Good luck.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
Won't the spiral teeth on the gear keep it pushed up against the bottom of the distributor housing with the engine running? I would probably add a thrust washer between the gear and the housing to reduce the end play a little, but in the real world, it's probably a solution looking for a problem. I'd be more concerned with the vertical position of the reluctor and the pickup coil teeth.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Handy Andy Have made all my own HEI's I use 1/2 inch machinery bushings from the farm store,mostly important to have space up and down when it's clamped to the block,be sure there is oil clearance where your gear rides on the block. To avoid cap interference with the side of the engine I make an aluminum spacer to raise it up about an inch. You'll find sludge build-up on the shaft will make it hard to get apart,like for a pick-up coil change,once apart then you can clean it up.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
John G Your right on there for HEI end play,with that .010 you can feel if there is clearance for oil at the bottom of the gear,haven't noticed any reason to spend 11$ for shim kit,grind out my own stub shaft,pin it to main shaft get a bronze bushing at the farm store it may do 2 distributors turn it to fit go to truckin !!

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Handy Andy One other detail I find the later distributors with more electronics just muddy the water for our old trucks.Just the simple HEI is best now if you figure out electronics might work good but probably need computer input.

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Yes, Jerry...but isn't there also the dynamic of the oil pump drag and other factors? Some of these can be surprising. 40 years ago I had a 235 I had just rebuilt which would not idle correctly no matter what I tried. Finally I pulled the camshaft thinking one of the lobes must have gone slightly wonky. Wasn't that, however. The thrust plate (normally is supposed to have .001 to .005" gap between it and the gear) was worn to the point where it had a gap of about .022". The cam was bouncing in and out enough at low rpms to make the timing swing in/out of range. I figured the design of the 2 gears would prevent that, but it didn't.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
That's also why a small block V8 with a double row roller timing chain needs a thrust button on the end of the cam, and a reinforced timing cover.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Thanks for the information. Some of the info I've read refers to the expansion of engine components due to heat likely taking up some of the end play. Also, the spiral design of the meshing gears should keep things lined up, but there seems to be some uncertainty about this. I'll be disassembling the HEI distributors for a good cleaning, lubrication, and reassembly. These distributors are good candidates for my 235s as both have passed some initial bench top testing. I plan to reduce the end play, being mindful of the need for lubrication and the vertical position of the reluctor/pickup coil position.

Thanks again,


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
I have run a lot HEI's on my distributor machine, I adjust the end play for .010" - .020" or enough for oil get into and around the bushing. The bushings are not a standard size, I order them for a High Performance Buick shop for a reasonable price. You can add 1/2" ID machinery shims or make your own, most of the time I knock the lower bushing out and replace it with new. I have seen them with the pickup coils way off center and still run OK, but I try to center them best I can. With the lower bushing out, it's easy to knock the upper one into place. With a good puller. you can get the bushings out and reuse them if you have to. The OEM lower thrust washers wear, so be mindful of that when cleaning and align the dot on the gear with the pointer on the rotor.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
It takes a bit of creative machining, but I've built up a few distributors with a Torrington needle bearing at the top of the housing for a zero-wobble top end. It's surprising how inaccurate some distributors can get, either from wear or manufacturing tolerances.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Handy Andy My local 55 year junkyard where they are true junkyard dogs,test HEI's this way-put 12v jumper cables on it handle it like a hot potatoe spin it if it pops and cracks is good. Best part is they turn you loose in the yard,covers about 120 acres,amix of 30's to current vehicles.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Joe H: I'll shoot for that .010" to .020" range for end play. Do you have a source that you can share for those bushings? I'll have to look these distributors over closely. Hopefully, I won't need to replace the bushings. I'm aware of the alignment mark and the rotor orientation. Good reminder, thanks!

Jerry: The needle bearing sounds interesting. However, the bushings should suffice for my purposes.

fixite7: You are very fortunate to have an auto salvage yard that not only has the parts you need, but they turn you loose too! The pick-n-pull salvage yards are long gone in my neck of the woods here in Iowa, or paradise as 52Carl fondly refers to Iowa.........right Carl? I suppose turning people loose in a salvage yard is a 'big liability issue' these days, or so I've been told.

My thanks to all,


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Originally Posted by HandyAndy
Joe H: I'll shoot for that .010" to .020" range for end play. Do you have a source that you can share for those bushings? I'll have to look these distributors over closely. Hopefully, I won't need to replace the bushings. I'm aware of the alignment mark and the rotor orientation. Good reminder, thanks!

Jerry: The needle bearing sounds interesting. However, the bushings should suffice for my purposes.

fixite7: You are very fortunate to have an auto salvage yard that not only has the parts you need, but they turn you loose too! The pick-n-pull salvage yards are long gone in my neck of the woods here in Iowa, or paradise as 52Carl fondly refers to Iowa.........right Carl? I suppose turning people loose in a salvage yard is a 'big liability issue' these days, or so I've been told.

My thanks to all,

Compared to Missouri, you bet.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Joe H Hey say that again about align the dot with the pointer on the rotor !! Never heard of that yet,My HEI's mostly have the gear turned over then drill the roll pin hole...at random,shim and assemble put it in maybe shim with gaskets. Been a while cause mine are all running,winch truck set 5 years fired right up.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
HandyAndy Yes it's great to have a junkyard where you can shop on your own,it's just covered with stuff!!

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
On the gear, there is normally a dot machined in to the side, this aligns with the rotor pointer. It aids the installer when aligning the oil pump drive shaft to the distributor gear drive. ( 99% of what I work on is Pontiac stuff, so this maybe related to them ) If you know where the dot and rotor are, you can turn the oil pump drive so they mess together with out rotating the engine or taking multiple stabs at it.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Here's a pic of the alignment dot.
Attachments
GM HEI Distributor Gear.jpg (283.09 KB, 74 downloads)


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
I finally got some garage time in this afternoon. A local farm store had those 1/2" machinery bushings, so I filed them a bit to get the needed clearance. There are two shims placed above the distributor gear which leaves me with 0.010" of distributor shaft end play. This quite an improvement from the 0.125" that I started with........

Thanks to all,
Attachments
HEI Distributor with Shims.jpg (259.6 KB, 54 downloads)


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0