The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, greenie-reddy, Hush, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 175 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 27
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 27
Hello fellow GM enthusiasts,

New to your forum and thanks for allowing me to register and learn from you all. I've spent a great deal of time here the last couple of weeks reading through your forum. I have absorbed some valuable information for my project so far and have seen some incredible looking vehicles you all have.

My current project is a 1977 C65 Dump Truck. We purchased this truck over a decade ago for our LLC. At the time we were in the process of buying up foreclosures and neglected properties to add to our property management portfolio. After redeveloping a couple of properties, we realized a dump truck would make things much easier and bought this single axle 366 with a new crate motor for $3000. I joked with my wife that if we ever stopped using the truck, I was going to turn it into a pickup. Well guess what? The truck has sat for 3 years and now I have the time.

The tires aren't looking so great and need to be replaced. Tire shops in my area won't deal with these 9x20's so I went to a truck repair shop to see if they will. The owner and he won't mount to these rims either, but he offered to replace them for me with some used 22.5" wheels and tires that he has laying around back to get me started. I will be taking the truck to him this week for the wheels. I'm going to offer him the dump bed if he wants it, but I doubt it, and will likely be stuck removing it myself. Can't wait for that fun time!

So that is the plan. I want to fix up this old dump and turn it into a pickup that the wife and I can occasionally cruise around in. My goal by the end of the year is to get that dump bed off of there and get some heat in it. I'm sure the brakes should be gone though as well, but I need to formulate a plan first for the entire truck. The wheels in my head have been turning since the moment she fired back up again.

I will try to post in the appropriate sections but I do have a question related to doing so. If I were to query about interior related questions, should I do so in the 73-87 section, interior, or direct all questions to the big bolt section for this vehicle?

Here are some pics. First one is when I bought her. She's seen some weather since. She's got a little rust in the usual places but nothing too bad. Floor is solid.

Thanks for having me.

-BJ
Attachments
1.jpg (292.96 KB, 11 downloads)
2.JPG (212.94 KB, 11 downloads)
3.jpg (177.89 KB, 11 downloads)
4.jpg (167.45 KB, 11 downloads)
5.jpg (83.85 KB, 11 downloads)

Last edited by Peggy M; 11/10/2023 9:48 PM.

Like A Rock
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Welcome to the 'bolt.

Last edited by Peggy M; 11/10/2023 9:49 PM.

Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Welcome to the Bolt! If it were mine I'd leave it as is and just get myself a pickup. But then, I'm partial to Big Bolts. Plus, it's not my truck, so do as you wish, and keep us posted on your progress. Be sure to check out the Big Bolts forum.

Last edited by Peggy M; 11/10/2023 9:49 PM.

Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness! There is no cure! shake
Where to post questions? The forums you mentioned will work or you can break down different areas of your truck to more specific forums.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
The big truck guys might be drooling on it!


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 27
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 27
@Rich. We already have several pickups on the property (All Chevy of course), but this C65 is my first big truck. I've always wanted to put a bed on it, fix it up, and take it to some of the local shows we have around here.

I know where you're coming from about keeping it a dump, believe it or not, even in its current form people will ask me question about it at the gas station. It really likes gas stations a lot. I might have to turn it into a diesel so that it doesn't get to go there quite as often.

I still have a screen capture of the Craigslist ad for the truck when we first bought her.
Attachments
BLUEWHAT.jpg (322.76 KB, 94 downloads)

Last edited by Peggy M; 11/10/2023 9:50 PM.

Like A Rock
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
My bad. I neglected to approve the post. I deleted the duplicate pictures.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Beautiful truck!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 27
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by Rich'sToys
Beautiful truck!


Funny thing about your first post. Truck is back in the yard for less than 10 minutes today and the wife all of a sudden starts bringing up her 'honey do' list which involves several dump runs. I have two choices on the matter. Load up a 16' trailer and unload it again by hand, or load up a dump truck 3 times and dump it quickly each time.

Now I remember why I bought this truck in the first place.

Thanks, Rich!


Like A Rock
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
thumbs_up


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 27
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 27
Here is the truck with the new tires and rims put on by the truck shop I mentioned. $1400 out the door! That's actually a really good deal!
Attachments
20211102_143205.jpg (775.62 KB, 40 downloads)


Like A Rock
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Looking good. thumbs_up

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0