The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, Ponchogl, Wayne67vert, 1 invisible), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 34
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 34
I am new (old but new) to Stovebolt and I believe I am going to enjoy it.

Just bought a 46 1/2 ton and do not believe the engine is original, # BCP 465241. How can I tell the year and if this is a Chevy or GMC engine?

Chassis number. Thanks to Stovebolt I was able to decode this number. Because the plate was badly damage the only other ,not stamped, on the plate just before the chassis number was ether 4HSS15N or 4ASS15N. Does anyone know what this number is for?

Again thank you for a very helpful forum

AS FAR AS I CAN DETERMINE THIS SHOULD BE CHASSIS

Last edited by Not to old yet; 11/08/2021 10:11 PM. Reason: I believe I found the problem
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
GMC engine’s SN stamped on a machined surface behind the distributor start with displacement, i e 228xxxx, 270xxxx. A few inches longer than Chevy engines.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
We sure would like to see some pictures of your '46 ...

Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 34
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 34
Will post new pictures soon. Ran into a slight set back. We finally got it running and found a crack in the block. Weighing out the options.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0